Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Guy Fawkes 10

Re: Guy Fawkes 10m

Well done Rob. I did 66 min after a steady start. Fantastic weather and love the hills!
    Results are on line already!

Re: Guy Fawkes 10

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Great time on that course Rob, unlucky on not going sub 65. I ended up not running in the end. I've been struggling to shake off a calf strain and as it seemed to have got worse after running on Thursday I decided not to risk it. Pretty cheesed off after seeing the weather this morning. Must have been a nice run.
    Cheers MR, the weather was excellent but it was hard work. Hope the calf gets better soon.

Well done nosemi as well, good running
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Had a terrible race with a rubbish time (compared to what I could do). For the second time in two weeks a couple of miles into running I got really poorly and struggled to make it round the route at all. Not sure what's going on there

Still a nice route though and lovely weather yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Had a terrible race with a rubbish time (compared to what I could do). For the second time in two weeks a couple of miles into running I got really poorly and struggled to make it round the route at all. Not sure what's going on there

Still a nice route though and lovely weather yesterday.
    Sorry to hear that Flopsy. At least you made it to the start line (and finished) unlike me.

Gutted to miss out yesterday, it's such a quirky fun race. I love the humour in naming the hills, particularly the last one "for fawkes sake".
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 07-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I love the humour in naming the hills, particularly the last one "for fawkes sake".
    I love that too, the last one is very apt.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Guy Fawkes 10

Did my first road race for over a year today! Guy Fawkes 10 today from Ripley Castle and up around Birstith, Swincliffe and Hampstwaite (good Yorkshire heartland this). Couldn't really decline seeing as it was on my doorstep and part of my regular training runs .....

Discovered that any pace I had on the road has completely disappeared and I wobbled in around 1:20. Not too disappointed though I saw several others doing it who are known to prefer the fells, so I wasn't alone .....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Good to see you and Helen yesterday. I haven't done a road race for 5 years! I really enjoyed it and it wasn't half as scary as I thought it would be. I particularly liked all the twists and turns around the little country roads and also the different terrain. I don't think I would've bothered had it been flat as my pace isn't great either. I'm pleased that I ran it all as I can be a bit lazy sometimes!
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Stagger View Post
    Good to see you and Helen yesterday. I haven't done a road race for 5 years! I really enjoyed it and it wasn't half as scary as I thought it would be. I particularly liked all the twists and turns around the little country roads and also the different terrain. I don't think I would've bothered had it been flat as my pace isn't great either. I'm pleased that I ran it all as I can be a bit lazy sometimes!
    Yes, it was nice to see you, you should have come for a cuppa afterwards at Harriers H.Q. - the chilli was lovely. You're right though, if you have to do a 10-mile road race this is one of the more interesting ones and is a definite challenge. You did well to run all the way up the "Birstwith Brute", I can't claim that I did - especially as you witnessed that I didn't! A bit of a shame we had that freezing fog, it's nice scenery thereabouts - it's lovely and clear this morning, Sod's Law! Results are out on UK Results (Jon Schofield). The winner (Jack Simpson - Leeds A.C.) did it in 54-odd minutes, which is fairly unbelievable. I think it might have been a course record.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Sorry I couldn't stay for a cuppa but I had a lift and they wanted to get away fairly swiftly. As for the fog.....I think I may have to do this race again so I can see the lovely views.

Wow, 54 mins - that's incredibly quick for 10 miles. I once ran the Leeds Abbey Dash slower than that!!
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

I was there too, in the middle of a full blown cold but still managed a credible 67mins. I love this race, it's a belter. Birstwith brute is a fantastic hill and I always enjoy going past people that are clearly not used to that sort of climbing. Jack Simpson's time is insane for that course though. Amazing effort
    @Hill_Runner on twitter