Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Arnside Knott

Results and pictures:

http://arnsideknott.blogspot.co.uk/

Well done everyone!

First fell race in months, conditions slippery but otherwise perfect, and had my first ever (successful) sprint finish dip for the line... Thanks again Dallam!
    John H - Howgill Harriers

It made a change feeling almost fresh for the race. My previous two times of doing the race have been the day after The Full Tour of Pendle and I've proper felt it.

After yesterday's Badger Bar Blast, I was feeling ok...ish. With the weather today being very kind the spirits were lifted and the views over the estuary were fantastic. This really is a lovely area, it feels unspoiled and deserves it's Area of natural beauty acclaim.

The race is very similar to it's neighbouring fell races, Warton Crag and Beetham Sports. All three races have two things in common, limestone and woods.

I learnt two things today. Firstly I never realised Silverdale was in Lancashire, always thought it was Cumbria/South Lakeland. And secondly, if you carb load on chocolate cake 30 minutes before a race it will make a reappearance...and unfortunately not taste the same 2nd time around, if you get my drift!

Well done Steve Swarbrick and Heidi Dent on their wins.

Many thanks to Dallam and helpers.

Super Moderator
    'sticks you're ace. Not only do you run all the races we get boundary lessons, reviews, training tips plus nutritional advice. Good man
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    'sticks you're ace. Not only do you run all the races we get boundary lessons, reviews, training tips plus nutritional advice. Good man
    Haha cheers DT,

I try my best!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...I learnt two things today...secondly, if you carb load on chocolate cake 30 minutes before a race it will make a reappearance...and unfortunately not taste the same 2nd time around...
    My bellyful of chocolate cake didn't reappear, I think it actually helped.
    Great race, really well marked and marshalled.

Yes Darren, it's a great area isn't it? Now that I'm retired, I get to do a lot of quiet mid-week cycling around that area.

Last Thursday night, a dozen or so Bowlanders were out along the foreshore to New Barns and over the Knott for my 65th birthday trot out then a convivial get together in Ye Olde Fighting Cocks on the prom.

All The Best, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    It made a change feeling almost fresh for the race. My previous two times of doing the race have been the day after The Full Tour of Pendle and I've proper felt it.

After yesterday's Badger Bar Blast, I was feeling ok...ish. With the weather today being very kind the spirits were lifted and the views over the estuary were fantastic. This really is a lovely area, it feels unspoiled and deserves it's Area of natural beauty acclaim.

The race is very similar to it's neighbouring fell races, Warton Crag and Beetham Sports. All three races have two things in common, limestone and woods.

I learnt two things today. Firstly I never realised Silverdale was in Lancashire, always thought it was Cumbria/South Lakeland. And secondly, if you carb load on chocolate cake 30 minutes before a race it will make a reappearance...and unfortunately not taste the same 2nd time around, if you get my drift!

Well done Steve Swarbrick and Heidi Dent on their wins.

I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Yes Darren, it's a great area isn't it? Now that I'm retired, I get to do a lot of quiet mid-week cycling around that area.

Thursday night, a dozen or so Bowlanders were out along the foreshore to New Barns and over the Knott for my 65th birthday trot out then a convivial get together in Ye Olde Fighting Cocks on the prom.
    Agreed, it's a fantastic area and I know I'm lucky to live just down the road. I have to say I think I preferred Thursday evening's convivial pace than yesterday's though!

It's a real lung-buster of a race. Quick start to make sure you're not loosing time on the single track and then the pace just doesn't let up until the end. For the third year on the row I managed to set off too fast and for the third year in a row got overtaken by Jon Rylance on the final climb on the way back!

Bit of a shame there was no prize giving this year (unless there was and it had moved location; we hung around where it used to be outside registration and nothing happened there).

Master
    Apparently they gave out the prizes as the seniors crossed the line - all the more cake for those who stayed! Perfect day for a race - thanks to the RO and the marshals - this year there was a marshal at the turn where some went wrong last year.
    That return uphill is longer than you would think given the modest total of 900 odd feet of up/down - I have yet to run all of it.

Thanks to everyone who turned out for the race.Very fortunate with the dry sunny weather after the preceding monsoon period.
    Senior Results Junior Results

The senior race has always been organised on the basis of handing over prizes to the first 3 men and first 3 women as they cross the finish line. It makes life a bit simpler for the organiser,and means that the winners don't have to "hang around" either.
    Last year's spot prizegiving at the end was a one off as we'd been given some for free!