Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FRA Navigation Course

Re: FRA Navigation Course

Iain, the FRA weekend courses are basic navigation and safety practicals aimed at the ordinary (if there is such a thing) fell runner. We do lots of theory on the Friday (which allegedly needs to be later diluted with alchohol) and put it into practice using a variety of methods all day Saturday, including paired night navigation. Sunday, a short review, more talking (where I find out nobody reads my access articles in the mag!) then a solo navigation run to test new found skills. The courses evolve to meet our (FRA) needs and are not part of any other scheme, instructors have a broad range of backgrounds, not all ML's and just volunteer to share knowlege.
    For more details you'll have to write to Margaret as she doesn't do email, but as Hopey, Emmilou and others have said, they are good - may even be other threads on here relating to previous courses and the excellent weather we can get.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Iain, the FRA weekend courses are basic navigation and safety practicals aimed at the ordinary (if there is such a thing) fell runner. We do lots of theory on the Friday (which allegedly needs to be later diluted with alchohol) and put it into practice using a variety of methods all day Saturday, including paired night navigation. Sunday, a short review, more talking (where I find out nobody reads my access articles in the mag!) then a solo navigation run to test new found skills. The courses evolve to meet our (FRA) needs and are not part of any other scheme, instructors have a broad range of backgrounds, not all ML's and just volunteer to share knowlege.
    For more details you'll have to write to Margaret as she doesn't do email, but as Hopey, Emmilou and others have said, they are good - may even be other threads on here relating to previous courses and the excellent weather we can get.
    Iain - it maybe also be helpful to know that although there are a fair few people attending some are more 'experienced' than others!
    Every endevour is made to ensure that people of similar or no experience (as in my case) are put together although my bottom lip started to wobble when my group were all pretty good navigators and I didn't even know how to open a map!

What I am trying to highlight is that there was the complete and utter 'numpty' i.e ME, no idea which way north is and those who had already attended navigation courses enrolling for the FRA course.

I think I can say that all of these levels were catered for and everybody came away knowing alot more than they did than when before they went - how much they retained is anyones guess...........but I win the prize for getting lost the most!!!

You did thow us by your unique route choice though the village on the Sunday! Not lost, just slightly mis-placed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    You did thow us by your unique route choice though the village on the Sunday! Not lost, just slightly mis-placed
    what can I say - if the shops are open.................

undercover moderator

Is there a place on this course left for Michael Rasmussen?

Although to be fair, we've all been through that old Milan/Mexico mix-up.

No, but he could donate his bike to aid passage from the hostel to the pub and back, as he'll have little use for it now

Chris - when can i book for elterwater next year?? is it worth writing to margaret now

thanks

Possibly not yet, she's enough to do with this one! I've sent you a pm