Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Re: The Film Reviewer

The Wizard of Oz has just been on. That's how we laugh the day away in the merry old land of Oz
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I too think that Blade Runner hasn't stood the test of time. Watching it recently I thought that it was slow and plodding a lot of the time. Ridley Scott's best films remain Alien, Thelma and Louise, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down all of which were and still are brilliant.

Smile Re: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H Tool View Post
    Blade Runner is stunning and the effects for the time it was made are as good as anything seen today (in my opinion) maybe 'Pi' has gone further but then it is a different genre. The soundtrack by Vangelis is one of the best. I think the scene where Daryl Hannah is retired is brilliant (she actually hit Harrison) and was given a nod to in 'Kill Bill'. Oh yes and Roy handling Tyrells head still gets my heartrate up as much as running up Kinder Edge. The film has a very dark edge and doesn't rely on effects to make it good.

:thumbup:

Wow!

Well we should like different things.

I have now watched the rest of it. There is a Hollywood expression that the money must appear on the screen (not necessarily the same thing as 'the money shot') and I suppose with the impressive monsoon special effects by Dalton Trumbo it does but...pity about the story. Style over substance?

It was originally released in the UK in September 1982. With what else? Diva directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix which I did go to see and have seen again since. And it has a nice soundtrack, notably Catalani and Gounod.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Not the part I watched before I remembered I may not have many years left and should cherish every moment.
    Brilliant!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The Wizard of Oz has just been on. That's how we laugh the day away in the merry old land of Oz
    Glad to have persuaded you Mr B.

looking forward to alice in wonderland bbc3

Despite some bad reviews I really enjoyed Bourne Identity. Worked well with the other films and its got me wanting more.

Has anyone seen Scorsee's Kundun?
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Wow!

Well we should like different things.

I have now watched the rest of it. There is a Hollywood expression that the money must appear on the screen (not necessarily the same thing as 'the money shot') and I suppose with the impressive monsoon special effects by Dalton Trumbo it does but...pity about the story. Style over substance?

It was originally released in the UK in September 1982. With what else? Diva directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix which I did go to see and have seen again since. And it has a nice soundtrack, notably Catalani and Gounod.
    Problem is, the story is hacked about a bit and, depending on which version you watch, the film is chopped,tarted and sanitised for US audiences. If you watch the directors cut (i.e. without the crap Marlowe style overdubs and the pathetic ending tacked on from outtakes of The Shining) then you at least get something where the ambiguity of Deckard is handled really well. Don't forget, this movie predates the Terminator and is probably the first feature length film to base a story around the philosophy of real versus synthetic life forms. OK, you have to be sympathetic to a Science Fiction narrative rather than a classic narrative so you will inevitably feel differently about the characters. But I can't agree that the story is second rate. I do agree that the presentation CAN be rubbish if you watch the wrong version.
    And, thank you Dr Tool...Roy Battys destruction of his creator is one of the great moments of existential angst!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Blast! You've just reminded me that I lent Kundun to a friend before I'd watched it myself...that was about three years ago and I haven't got it back. I'll let you know what I think when I do!:sneaky:

Quote Originally Posted by The devil's own View Post
    Despite some bad reviews I really enjoyed Bourne Identity. Worked well with the other films and its got me wanting more.

Has anyone seen Scorsee's Kundun?
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

holidays over but the movies just keep on coming on tv, after Tim Burtons fantastic adaptation of Alice in wonderland last night, tonight it was Avatar, great :thumbup: