Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Re: The Film Reviewer

Exploitation, child abduction, underage smoking and drinking, Disney's Pinnochio has got it all!
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Mr Brown. I can forgive the billy Connolly ego-trip for the sheer pleasure of the magnificent Anthony Sher cameo as Disraeli.....a tour de force of oleaginous characterisation.
    The casting director pulled a blinder with that one eh Graham?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Just watched Barfly written by Bukowski and starring Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway. Fantastic, every shot is a picture enhanced by great words and acting. Definitely going to have a look at more Barbet Schroeder films.

What do you mean you dont like Blade Runner:w00t:

Well you are not the only one. Even Phillip K Dick was unhappy with it. He did love the sets though, apparently it was just as he had imagined it to be, when he wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Flawed but it is still a favourite. I get sucked in every time I watch it and think it has rightly gone from cult to classic. Ridley Scott Knows how to do action scenes. As a youngster I loved it but the thing that has kept me coming back to this film is; the way it questions what is it to be human? especially the darker aspects.

One day I will learn how to make an origami unicorn.

The Duellists, his first film is also worth a look, even if just for the duelling scenes. If you have ever stepped into the ring, stepped up to the line or had a prearranged scrap at the school gates. You should get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ksvHXBHH0

LOL!
    just realised that 2 of the 3 film posters I have up in the lounge atm are Blade Runner and The Duellists!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Red Riding Hood

No country for old men.

Lincoln.
    Even Breezy should appreciate this one.
    As the credits roll, its the director and screenplay writer who get first billing, followed by the principal actor.
    And with good reason. For this is a symphony of light and language executed through the unflinching glare of hyper-real close up cinematography.
    The use of light renders each scene to have the atmosphere of Holbein or Vermeer.
    The script flows like shakesperean oratory. But there is no hiding place for Day Lewis who spends almost the entire movie in microscopic close up. But he shrinks not from the challenge, possessing the ability to transmit the subliminal processes of thought and turmoil that drives his speech without resort to mugging or theatrical gesturing. Ably supported by Lee Jones and Field he gives perhaps the finest character performance I have ever seen.
    And Spielberg is transcendent, finally delivering a tale of human drama without descent into mawkishness or unnecessary flash.

Totally rivetting. Oscars should flow.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Lincoln.
    Even Breezy should appreciate this one.
    As the credits roll, its the director and screenplay writer who get first billing, followed by the principal actor.
    And with good reason. For this is a symphony of light and language executed through the unflinching glare of hyper-real close up cinematography.
    The use of light renders each scene to have the atmosphere of Holbein or Vermeer.
    The script flows like shakesperean oratory. But there is no hiding place for Day Lewis who spends almost the entire movie in microscopic close up. But he shrinks not from the challenge, possessing the ability to transmit the subliminal processes of thought and turmoil that drives his speech without resort to mugging or theatrical gesturing. Ably supported by Lee Jones and Field he gives perhaps the finest character performance I have ever seen.
    And Spielberg is transcendent, finally delivering a tale of human drama without descent into mawkishness or unnecessary flash.

Totally rivetting. Oscars should flow.

.....and no Vampires

Can't wait to see it

Who's been? I don't care if it's hyped. We loved it.

Although a song and a dance always does it for me.

I know Mr B will adore it.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Who's been? I don't care if it's hyped. We loved it.

Although a song and a dance always does it for me.

I know Mr B will adore it.
    Er...no, but I can give you 1000 words on the merits of Jackie and, in due course, on T2Trainspotting and Denial.

Maybe over dinner after a Bedlamite race sometime?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-01-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".