Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Super Moderator

Re: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Blade Runner

After 30 years I thought I ought to take a look at Blade Runner (The Director’s Cut) which Time Out describes as a master piece and David Thomson rates highly.

On the other hand Monthly Film Bulletin felt it had a “narrative so limp as to be in need of a wheelchair”.

Quite.
    So, never mind Time Out and DT; is it any good?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    So, never mind Time Out and DT; is it any good?

Not the part I watched before I remembered I may not have many years left and should cherish every moment.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It's very much like 2001. It is of its time and has been copied so much by others that watching it now, it seems cliched.
    BUT...you had to be there. Genuinely ground breaking when it came out and a truly atmospheric film. Think of it more as Film Noir rather than science fiction.
    I love it but probably because I was there and it was at a great time in my life. Would be very interested to hear what a young reviewer who's never seen it makes of it. Me and Graham.... too old, hoary and stuck in our ways to be truly objective about it.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    It's very much like 2001. It is of its time and has been copied so much by others that watching it now, it seems cliched.
    BUT...you had to be there. Genuinely ground breaking when it came out and a truly atmospheric film. Think of it more as Film Noir rather than science fiction.
    I love it but probably because I was there and it was at a great time in my life. Would be very interested to hear what a young reviewer who's never seen it makes of it. Me and Graham.... too old, hoary and stuck in our ways to be truly objective about it.
    I recognise that.

I have paid my dues to cinema and most of the fine arts. I have seen all Eisenstein's films and the classic great silent films and everything Bergman made and so on because everything in life is context and relative. You can only understand Woody Allen if you know Bergman.

And yes I knew what I was watching would have been breathtaking in 1982 but in 2012 I was listening to the dialogue thinking "OK I've got the picture. Do I care enough to watch all 112 minutes of this?" The visual impact at the time of, say,The Seven Samurai or Citizen Kane or A Bout de Souffle might have been equally breathtaking (ha ha!) but I think because those films are character driven they retain their interest even though their revolutionary film techniques have subsequently been endlessly plagiarised.

Because I go to the cinema I see a lot of film trailers and I am struck by the viscerality of cinema today; but my favourite film of 2012 was A Royal Affair- character based with an intelligent script and an interesting and partly factual story.

But I am old.

Blade Runner is stunning and the effects for the time it was made are as good as anything seen today (in my opinion) maybe 'Pi' has gone further but then it is a different genre. The soundtrack by Vangelis is one of the best. I think the scene where Daryl Hannah is retired is brilliant (she actually hit Harrison) and was given a nod to in 'Kill Bill'. Oh yes and Roy handling Tyrells head still gets my heartrate up as much as running up Kinder Edge. The film has a very dark edge and doesn't rely on effects to make it good.

:thumbup:
    'Take the Long Way Home'

everything Bergman made
    Commiserations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbintooth View Post
    Commiserations.

Oh I don't know. I think one was a comedy.

Or what passes for a comedy in Sweden.

I used to count Wild Strawberries as one of my all time favourites, but last time I watched it I couldn't handle the relentless bleakness and pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbintooth View Post
    I used to count Wild Strawberries as one of my all time favourites, but last time I watched it I couldn't handle the relentless bleakness and pessimism.

Ah well, Fanny & Alexander is still watchable.

Ah well, Fanny & Alexander is still watchable.
    After watching Virgin Spring last year I might give it a while..