Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Master

Re: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I totally agree.... and yeah stop with the drivel CL
    Come on Stollaroos even Shania Twain had Brad Pitt sussed when she sang he's got the looks but hasn't got the.........touch! Then there's Angelina Jolie riding around on a motorcycle that clearly she hasn't got the strength to handle and bashing up great fellahs with her slow twitchy muscle fibres. I had to go to bed early that night!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Was Mamma Mia a film? I thought it was mindless, frothy blancmange linking some songs.
    As a bit of a Mamma Mia expert (I may have watched it 9 or 10 times with my eldest daughter) I think you're off beam there Graham. You're right in that its a mindless, frothy blancmange of Abba songs, don't get me wrong, but like a lot of films it works never-the-less. It demonstrates perfectly that a good film can be both frothy and blancmangey

Master

Agreed Hes. The music in Mamma Mia along with Meryl Streep's dungarees made the film completely brilliant
    I saw the stage version of it in New York and apart from the songs which are quite 'funcky called Madina ish' it was dire straits. They must have said "what can we put to this music, I KNOWWWW a script that is senseless and has no purpose, that'll entertain them."

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    And lets not forget (err yes maybe we should:thunbdown Taken 2 and the planned Taken 3 (ad nauseum). Nicholas Cage has Francis Ford Coppola for an Uncle, the only reason he got into the excellent film 'Peggy Sue Got Married' (he just made Kathleen Turner look an even better actress than she already was ).
    There is something about Cage I really don't like as an actor. He has no spirit and no soul. It's like he has never had to feel the emotions he has to project on set. As Graham would say "he has no warmth."
    Last edited by CL; 04-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I KNOWWWW a script that is senseless and has no purpose, that'll entertain them."
    To be fair thats fairly often the case in musicals but surely trying be 'entertaining' is the point?

Master

Very few films today have any romance. I don't just mean a child or an adolesecent's view of romance which is boy-girl, Man-Woman, but a sequence of logical, dramatic events where at each stage core values are in play. Directors that operate today can't grasp that romantic essence and so we end up with chesse, which is tasty on a Cornish Wafer but not so tasty on film.

Master

To be fair thats fairly often the case in musicals but surely trying be 'entertaining' is the point?
    No listen a mint. The Wizard Of Oz is a great film because it entertains. It entertains not just because of the music but because of its ROMANCE. Loving someone because of their flaws is not romantic, loving them because of their virtues is. That is a clear distinction and one that today's film makers and audience don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    No listen a mint. The Wizard Of Oz is a great film because it entertains. It entertains not just because of the music but because of its ROMANCE. Loving someone because of their flaws is not romantic, loving them because of their virtues is. That is a clear distinction and one that today's film makers and audience don't understand.
    Beauty and the Beast?

Master

Swishy swishy swishy swishy-swishy swishy swishy swishy-swishy swishy swish du du du du du du du. Du du du du du du du du du du du du du if I only had a brain, a heart, the c-o-u-r-a-g-e!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Beauty and the Beast?
    Hang on a mint Em, my recollections of that aren't good.
    Last edited by CL; 04-12-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Had to remind myself of the storyline