Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Re: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Hang on a mint Em, my recollections of that aren't good but didn't he change his ways?

I think he was nice in the first place, once upon a time? A Prince. Magical witchery potions turned him into a Beast, he locked up Bella's poppa in a prison but she gave herself up instead and got to know him big teeth, tail and all and thought he was a jolly nice chap under all that fur.

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I think he was nice in the first place, once upon a time? A Prince. Magical witchery potions turned him into a Beast, he locked up Bella's poppa in a prison but she gave herself up instead and got to know him big teeth, tail and all and thought he was a jolly nice chap under all that fur.

Ah it was a fairy not a witch...
    Upon returning, Belle finds the Beast almost dead, and she weeps over him, saying that she loves him. When her tears strike him, the Beast is transformed into a handsome prince. The Prince informs Belle that long ago a fairy turned him into a hideous beast after he refused to let her in from the rain, and that only by finding true love, despite his ugliness, could the curse be broken. He and Belle are married and they lived happily ever after together.

Master

Ah it was a fairy not a witch...
    Upon returning, Belle finds the Beast almost dead, and she weeps over him, saying that she loves him. When her tears strike him, the Beast is transformed into a handsome prince. The Prince informs Belle that long ago a fairy turned him into a hideous beast after he refused to let her in from the rain, and that only by finding true love, despite his ugliness, could the curse be broken. He and Belle are married and they lived happily ever after together.
    Just reminded myself of the theme it was such a long time ago. Yes it has a romantic theme even though the beast resorted to blackmail. It isn't truly great romanticism though because of that flaw.

The Beast was happy (?) being left alone, he resorted to blackmail but only as a punishment for Belle's father who stole from him in the first place - what a tangled web!

any attempt to define the "essential" elements of a good film is doomed to failure.

we can all name examples of films that succeed on their own terms where one element is emphasised above all others.

unless you specify that any film that isn't strong in all your chosen elements doesn't really count as a "film" at all :wink:

surely we all know that there's no such thing as a "good" or "great" film in absolute terms - it's all just personal opinion?

personally, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Mamma Mia, but I don't think there's any level on which I could try to convince someone who loved the film that their opinion was somehow invalid - and conversely, they'd probably think Rashomon was pants - and I bet there's someone out there who likes both!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Smokey and the Bandit.

Master

The Beast was happy (?) being left alone, he resorted to blackmail but only as a punishment for Belle's father who stole from him in the first place - what a tangled web!
    (?) Maybe in some repects and in a limited sense because he wasn't what he was meant to be. He had to persevere though with what he ended up as and find some happiness from there.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    any attempt to define the "essential" elements of a good film is doomed to failure.

we can all name examples of films that succeed on their own terms where one element is emphasised above all others.

unless you specify that any film that isn't strong in all your chosen elements doesn't really count as a "film" at all :wink:

surely we all know that there's no such thing as a "good" or "great" film in absolute terms - it's all just personal opinion?

personally, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Mamma Mia, but I don't think there's any level on which I could try to convince someone who loved the film that their opinion was somehow invalid - and conversely, they'd probably think Rashomon was pants - and I bet there's someone out there who likes both!
    Disagree entirely and your post is an excuse for subjectivism, which is always an excuse for pushing trash. It is in art it is in music. If that is your intention are you saying people who like snuff movies are equally valid in their choices as those who love 'The Great Escape?'

No! greatness can be defended by the reason, trash can't.
    Last edited by CL; 04-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Which is why 'Art' is such a thought provoking play.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    No listen a mint. The Wizard Of Oz is a great film because it entertains. It entertains not just because of the music but because of its ROMANCE. Loving someone because of their flaws is not romantic, loving them because of their virtues is. That is a clear distinction and one that today's film makers and audience don't understand.
    I sure don't understand . I found the Wizard of Oz too annoying for words for instance. On the other hand Disney's Beauty and the Beast is brilliant.