Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Re: The Film Reviewer

Great to read the thoughts of a true lover of the genre. And you are so right in that, when you peel back the covers, this was an A team in every sense of the word. The comment about casting director is so apposite. Conversely, some of the films that I most enjoy are when you see actors playing some distance away from their 'standard acting role'.... this may be a better way of counterpointing your 'cattle' comment. I'm thinking of Pitt in Twelve Monkeys, Ford in Frantic, Cruise in Collateral, Williams in One Hour Photo, Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon....but not Brody in Predators - that was shocking!

And, like bands, most actors have only one 'good' outing in them, be it an album or a movie. Something that defines them forever. Of course this only applies to the mainstream, which is why the true cognoscenti find more intellectual nourishment in the fringes and the true greats often try to get back into the fringe. Radiohead are probably the best example of that in music. I think someone like Samantha Morton fits the bill in acting terms. I suspect she may nut you if she ever catches you calling her 'cattle'!
    Last edited by Wheeze; 05-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I was going to launch in (at GB mainly )and say that lots of the films made in the 1960's, especially in America, were absolute rubbish. Thinking about it though Bush Cassidy, Bullitt, 2001, Doctor Zhivago, Where Eagles Dare, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Laurence of Arabia, Zulu and quite a few others were damn good. I've proved conclusively that I don't know what I'm talking about

Some of the other Clint Eastwood films like Play Misty for Me and Coogans Bluff were probably the 60's too goddamit, as well as some of the early spaghetti westerns. Doh!

Edit: And not forgetting Jane Fonda in Barbarella

"Senna" is on the cards for tonight. I will provide a 15,000 word review in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    "Senna" is on the cards for tonight. I will provide a 15,000 word review in the morning.
    The best thing about this over-rated, hagiographic crock of sentimental slush is Alain Prost.

(14 words)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Didn't think much of the Senna flick either, really hoped for more.
    pies

Probably the best bike racing film so far

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I was going to launch in (at GB mainly )and say that lots of the films made in the 1960's, especially in America, were absolute rubbish. Thinking about it though Bush Cassidy, Bullitt, 2001, Doctor Zhivago, Where Eagles Dare, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Laurence of Arabia, Zulu and quite a few others were damn good. I've proved conclusively that I don't know what I'm talking about

Some of the other Clint Eastwood films like Play Misty for Me and Coogans Bluff were probably the 60's too goddamit, as well as some of the early spaghetti westerns. Doh!

Edit: And not forgetting Jane Fonda in Barbarella
    Bullitt is a good film. I liked some of the finer points within that film as well, such as when he goes shopping in the local store.

I think there are better French films than Amalie - as charming as that film is. La Haine or La Vie en Rose anyone?

Master

I also avoid most films that are based on 'true stories' because they are hardly ever as good as the imagination. There are exceptions though and one was the German docu-film 'Downfall.' It was both brilliant and chilling in the account of Hitler's final days in the bunker and Bruno Ganz who played Hitler gave a masterly performance. Not very inspiring romatically speaking but great as a record of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The best thing about this over-rated, hagiographic crock of sentimental slush is Alain Prost.

(14 words)
    I think it's unfortunate when critical review descends into iconoclasm. How can it be sentimental when all it does is string together real-time footage? It,s not talking heads and rose tinted retrospectives but more akin to tele reportage that sketches out the life of a mercurial but doomed talent. Not fiction but true life and a real docu-drama.

Oh, and I forgot another example of a great actor playing against type...De Niro in Brazil....almost makes up for the execrable focker movies.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth