Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Reviewer

Re: The Film Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I also avoid most films that are based on 'true stories' because they are hardly ever as good as the imagination. There are exceptions though and one was the German docu-film 'Downfall.' It was both brilliant and chilling in the account of Hitler's final days in the bunker and Bruno Ganz who played Hitler gave a masterly performance. Not very inspiring romatically speaking but great as a record of events.
    Downfall was superb. Ditto Das Boot

Of course there are better French films...that wasn't the point I was making. The point was that Amelie is a great romantic film without the schmaltz and it is stylish, quirky and funny too. La Haine is brilliant. I also liked I've Loved You So Long with Kristen Scott Thomas. Not seen La Vie en Rose but imagine I will at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I think there are better French films than Amalie - as charming as that film is. La Haine or La Vie en Rose anyone?
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Going back to actors, what about Ulriche Muher in 'The Lives of Others'? He was fantastic, so expressive. I really like that film, it makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I think it's unfortunate when critical review descends into iconoclasm. How can it be sentimental when all it does is string together real-time footage? It,s not talking heads and rose tinted retrospectives but more akin to tele reportage that sketches out the life of a mercurial but doomed talent. Not fiction but true life and a real docu-drama.

OK

I'll amend "sentimental" to "ridiculously one-sided propagandizing deification through the use of biased, selected editing of footage".
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Not such a snappy comment but comprehensive:wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    OK

I'll amend "sentimental" to "ridiculously one-sided propagandizing deification through the use of biased, selected editing of footage".

Talking of fantastic acting making a film, just watch Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Talking of fantastic acting making a film, just watch Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds
    Oh yes! Stupid film but he was BRILLIANT! The first scene is spine tingling. The personification of smiling evil. You could feel the knife edge he had others walking along.
    Also, I never understood shoe fetish till I saw that film.
    Tarantino likes putting actors into different places. Who would have guessed that Travolta or Thurman had those roles in them?

Sorry GB, I'm the worst person to fence with about Senna seeing as I is a self-confessed petrol-head who worships at his altar of brilliance! Probably blinded to the view you have of it. It's still a great film though!!...because I say so!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The best thing about this over-rated, hagiographic crock of sentimental slush is Alain Prost.

(14 words)
    Well I really enjoyed it. Found it quite moving and couldnt believe how much of a (insert nasty word) Prost was.

I accept to know nothing about films, the way directors edit them to give it a one-sided view and if this was the case then I fell for it. But I still really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Absolutely!

Ive tried to google it....but has anyone any idea what he shouts when the young jewish girls sprints away across the fields after her family were killed? He aims his gun at her but doesnt shoot...then shouts..."????????".

I suspect the Prost/Senna thing is quite a good way of testing someone's personality. You either go for the cold, calculating but grey genius of Prost or the devil-may-care, exhuberant brilliance of Senna.
    Both arrogant as hell but in different ways. It was one of those great sporting match ups alongside Ali/Frazier and McEnroe/Borg.

Back to films. Scariest moment ever? The steaming footprints in the wood in Night of The Demon. Still gives me the willies now!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth