Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another border collie!

Re: Another border collie!

I would like one that will be able to come mountainbiking in the hills with me AND is ok to taker to work with me during the day. The arts centre is open to the public in the summer months, 4 days a week, so there are visitors coming and going... so any dog that would be ok for the previous...

Jack Russell? They are great 'trail dogs' so I believe and small enough to 'hide' on the mezzanine where my desk is. However, they can get a bit jappy with visitors perhaps? Labrador, cannot see one running with the bike for too long?

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    Erm.. dunno, sounds a bit odd. Most organisations will ask for a fenced garden.. but half an acre is a bit much. Some dogs would easily clear 5 foot anyway, others wouldn't jump 3 foot. Some elements of the 'rescue' world can get a bit over the top with things.. i'd just try another one. What kind of mutt you looking for? At the moment i've got a 6yo male labrador and an 18 month jack russell!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Oh and Longdogs, it was Wiccaweys that caused the issue, as well as Cardiff's dogs home AND the local german shepherd rescue organisation :/ They all commented on the fact that my property is on the road... although the field isn't...

It has also been commented on that the 30 acres of fields and sculpture gardens at work are open to the road... as the gate to the car park and my colleagues drive are typically open...

I don't see this as an issue on very quite country lanes, as long as you train the dog appropriately... I would always leash the dog before opening the door if going out, until I knew he/she was road aware enough to not jump out of the house and onto the road... there is a couple of metres of stoop and railings though, before the road...

Hmmm... dog to go mountain biking you probably want a collie-type cross breed. Jack Russell too small, and yes yappy. Labradors are too orthopaedically challenged for your needs. Do not get a shepherd!!! They're a disaster zone, you'll spend all your time taking it to the vets, not biking.

Here's a few i found:

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dog/1084412/ella
    http://forum.fourpawsanimalrescue.or...?topic=10103.0
    http://forum.fourpawsanimalrescue.or...?topic=10430.0
    http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/ind...y&thread=28253

I absolutely love Jem the last one...

Not sure without seeing your house what the problem is, but what you said sounds common sense.. keep them on the lead til they are trained and you know you have control off the lead.

God I would love to rescue a BC but it is not a reality as we already have 2. Full respect to anyone that does offer one a home as they are fantastic dogs. I will look at doing so when our eldest dog moves on. I would also like to dish out some punishment to those that mis-treat their dogs.

You do a heart wrenching but fantastic job Longdogs.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Thanks Longdogs

I found a lovely 18 month old boy that is being fostered near here, on one of those other links, so will try and call the rescue tomorrow and see if he is still in need of a home. Surplus farm dog, so needs getting used to being inside, not an issue, they are clever enough to learn quickly, at least he is good with livestock

I am going to have to train whatever dog I get to only herd sheep when I tell him/her so... My dogs job is to herd me along the trails and watch over my visitors at work

Jem has an extraordinary marl colouring, wow, an art dealers dog Not that looks matter that much, it is character I am after. He does seem to have plenty of energy

Theory behind an energetic dog: will happily herd me for hours at a time several times a week and will be nice and settled when at work Although, when a collie gets fit enough to go MTB-ing for hours on end, energy levels will probably go up LOL

Thanks Longdogs...

I am going to follow up on Trevis (near here, red Welsh collie) and Jem
    Last edited by Hanneke; 30-12-2012 at 01:04 PM.

WOW! Obviously, they aren't particularly keen on re-homing a rescue dog...

Just been rather aggresively told that unless I have a minimum 5 ft fence around the propertly they won't re-home a dog to me :-o

Well, one of my neighbours has puppies, Welsh collies, from a working father and mother, suppose I better go and buy one rather than actually adopt an unwanted dog, ffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    WOW! Obviously, they aren't particularly keen on re-homing a rescue dog...

Just been rather aggresively told that unless I have a minimum 5 ft fence around the propertly they won't re-home a dog to me :-o

Well, one of my neighbours has puppies, Welsh collies, from a working father and mother, suppose I better go and buy one rather than actually adopt an unwanted dog, ffs!
    It would seem that they would rather have the dog in a small / average house with standard 6' fence around the small garden or not rehome it at all, as opposed to allowing a caring person to rehome it, who will take it out into the local wilderness and give it the walks, attention and love that it deserves - sometimes these organisations are unbelieveable.

Keep hunting for your dog Hanneke
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Yes, it is weird...

Called another rescue centre, she seems a lot more flexible. Ideally a dog goes to a home with a secure garden, but this lady said listening to you, I am snapping your hand of to find you a rescue dog to match... Alas, the gorgeous Jem isn't suitable, because of the gallery where he will be during the working day, he gets over-enthusiastic meeting new people, but she is sure she will find me a match

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    It would seem that they would rather have the dog in a small / average house with standard 6' fence around the small garden or not rehome it at all, as opposed to allowing a caring person to rehome it, who will take it out into the local wilderness and give it the walks, attention and love that it deserves - sometimes these organisations are unbelieveable.

Keep hunting for your dog Hanneke