Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginners routes in the P D

Re: Beginners routes in the P

Hi Rickyf,
    I would think about the Edale area. You can park up in the village (the only issue here is that it will cost a lot). You then have loads of options on both sides of the valley. Maybe you could try the first or second halves of the Edale skyline route (or the full skyline).

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Great shout Route 5 over Derwent Edge is a classic outing
    If you start from mile 8 and go up Eastern side of res for 1.5 miles then up over Pike low and drop down Abbey bank its a much nicer run and an extra hill to boot. If you are coming up for the day keep going up M1 off at junc 35a and park at Langsett, it might be quicker as its only 15 mins from motorway.
    Mickledon Straddle race routeis goog but of lots of other runs from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Truck View Post
    Hi Rickyf,
    I would think about the Edale area. You can park up in the village (the only issue here is that it will cost a lot). You then have loads of options on both sides of the valley. Maybe you could try the first or second halves of the Edale skyline route (or the full skyline).
    The only problem with Edale is every one goes there. 2nd busiest Nat Park in the world and Edale is the bulls eye in the centre of the target

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    I've used that site for ages and was going to do the route 5 yesterday but couldn't be bothered to drive that far.

Currently working out a marathon(ish) distance that takes in R5, Win Hill, Lockerbrook, Alport and Margery Hill. I think I've got the route but the estimated elevation gain is a shocker.

BTW has anyone run up or down Parkin Clough? It leads to or from Win Hill and looks very technical from a couple of MTB videos I've found online. Bit steep too.
    PC isn't too bad.. at night when you are closely following someone its a bit sketchy..

But i've been up and down it numerous times.. there are more runnable routes up further to the right as you go up..

Hi Rickyf,

Depending on how far up you want to drive there is also Hayfield as a central point. Again it has lots of routes in and around that area either over towards Kinder or back towards Chinley. Easy to park with good pubs and you usually meet someone out from Pennine to pass the time with. Over Xmas in the area the "Festive Disorientation" is on 30th December which is an O type event so you get to see a lot of the area that way (Roughly 8 or 16 mile course according to the blurb). But as I say it depends on how much driving you want to do first.

the route of the Grindleford Gallop is highly recommended as a training run:
    22M/3000ft
    you can start/finish it from Bakewell on the A6
    http://www.newlearn.co.uk/gallop2010...route_2009.jpg
    you even get to run past Chatsworth House - how posh is that!

detailed route description here:
    http://www.newlearn.co.uk/gallop2010...Route_2013.pdf
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 18-12-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Thought about the Festive O.. but he's a beginner.. so unless he can Nav it may not be too suitable.. But if he has some nav skills I think the O/MMM events are superb training.. some of the few times we actually have to nav in a year...

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Thought about the Festive O.. but he's a beginner.. so unless he can Nav it may not be too suitable.. But if he has some nav skills I think the O/MMM events are superb training.. some of the few times we actually have to nav in a year...
    Good point I never thought about that before replying. There is always someone to help on these if lost -
    but its always different if your out of area.

Thanks for peak trail runner link. I have had for a few years a pdf book which must be an early version of this - as now there are 40 routes.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll have a good look at that Peak Trail Runner site when Ive more spare time. Im not sure Im ready for the Grindleford run, 22 miles is a bit out of my league at the moment. Edale. Ive heard a bit about it. Is there a route map anywhere online or could anyone shed some light on it?

Wait one, Ive just found a route map on UK Hillwalking.