Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tal-y-fan

Tal-y-fan

Good evening

Has anyone done the Tal-y-Fan fell race before, (about 6 miles from Llandudno) - I haven't done any welsh fell races before, and wondered what the terrains like round there, and if there any any good pubs in the area?
    thanks very much

Re: TAL-Y-FAN 14th july

This race start from the village of Rowen in the conwy valley and coinsides with the village carnival.
    it starts with a steep climb on tarmac surface then flattens out as it becomes a broad track.along the track turn right, over a stile,onto a path which will take you on to the summit ridge then onto the summit of Tal y Fan.go over the stile at the summit and head towards the stone circles which take you on to the North Wales Path.follwo the path to wards Tyn y Ffrith then over a stile follow the path which takes you over a footbridge and around the foot of Cefn maen amol .then its basically following the marshials and flags through some fields which takes you back on to the steep road section at the start then back into the village.
    basically its a circumnavigation of Tal y Fan also its well marshalled and the end bits flagged so you should have no prblem getting round .
    see you there

I think I will have a go at the Tal-y-Fan fell race, according to the WRFA it is an 8 mile and 2400ft race.

Good evening Rocksteady,

Thanks very much for the info about Tal-y-fan, it sounds like a good little race, and if the steep descent is on the road(rather than over the rocks), I shouldn't have too many sleepless nights before the race. see you on the start line.

Its my first Welsh race to, see you there.

Question Re: TAL-Y-FAN 14th july

Is this race mainly on hard ground?, tracks, etc.

Tal-Y-Fan Fell Race 14 July

Does anyone know if it is essential to have full kit with you for this race waterproofs, compass, whistle etc? I have not done this race before and fancy having a crack at it but kit may be a problem if its essential.

Re: Tal-Y-Fan Fell Race 14 Jul

1 It's an AM race, i.e. it's Medium length - in this case 8 miles. You must carry full kit at all Medium and Long races (FRA/WFRA regulations).
    2 I did this race last year in fine weather and went a bit wrong - in bad weather you could end up miles from anywhere if you go very wrong - this is the lower end of Foel Fras and the Carneddau and even in a short race round here I'd take a bumbag if the clag was down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinno View Post
    but kit may be a problem if its essential.
    Pinno - I'll be there on Saturday so if you're short of anything let me know - I've usually got a second set of everything although I lost one of my many compasses in the car park after the Hotfoot up Famau race last week!

Thanks Welsh Harrier will heed your advice - I appreciate the offer of some kit and may take you up on it if I don't get chance to buy beforehand. I Have not seen any results from last years race to gauge what sort of times people did or how many took part, any info available?