Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Over the Odda 10k

I'm in. So local, be rude not to. See you there!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

I'm doing this, really looking forward to it, looks pretty tough. Never run round this area before, fortunately the weather looks kind if a little hot.

It's not 'fell race' tough, and its more suburban countryside than open moor. However, it's certainly not a course designed to help anyone to a 10k PB!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    It's not 'fell race' tough, and its more suburban countryside than open moor. However, it's certainly not a course designed to help anyone to a 10k PB!
    My garmin reading for last year suggested 1134ft of ascent but I'm sure that was well out and is only c800ft. That said I recently ran the majority of the route as part of a slightly longer run with an out and back from Baildon Moorside (parked by the cattle grid) and my reading for that was 1400ft.

I'm surprised it's as much as that. Still, I'm sure it'll feel tough enough and I won't be complaining I've not had my money's worth of climbing.

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale
    Am I best cycling there as looks a bit tight for parking?

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    Am I best cycling there as looks a bit tight for parking?
    There did seem to be enough parking outside of the village towards Guiseley last year.

Really good organisation and atmosphere. Plenty of supporters and encouragement throughout.

I'd describe the OTO as a very tough cross-country race.
    Because you begin with the main descent, the next five miles feel particularly brutal despite gradients not being especially steep.

Personally, I struggled today and had a poor run; one of those days when your legs just refuse to play out. I'd meant to jog round gently and finish in an hour. Instead, I had to half kill myself to finish three minutes over that time, and collapsed in a sweaty heap at the end.

Will need to sharpen up for the final John Carr on Wednesday...

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Really good organisation and atmosphere. Plenty of supporters and encouragement throughout.

I'd describe the OTO as a very tough cross-country race.
    Because you begin with the main descent, the next five miles feel particularly brutal despite gradients not being especially steep.

Personally, I struggled today and had a poor run; one of those days when your legs just refuse to play out. I'd meant to jog round gently and finish in an hour. Instead, I had to half kill myself to finish three minutes over that time, and collapsed in a sweaty heap at the end.

Will need to sharpen up for the final John Carr on Wednesday...
    Good to see you today Phil, sorry I didn't chat afterwards. As you say the climbs seem a lot more brutal than they are, although long relentless ascents appear to be my forte these days. I was expecting to be much quicker than last year when I was literally just back from injury so was pleased to meet my expectations and be almost 6 mins quicker and finish in 54:36 (granted underfoot conditions were better this year but was also warmer).

Great atmosphere again so thanks to Emma Stoney and all her helpers/marshals etc. Oh and this year my garmin said 6.05 miles/833ft which I think is pretty accurate given the extra uphill section at the start to spread the field out a bit before the first squeeze-stile.

Well done MT.
    I'd have estimated 800'-ish (without the aid of a Garmin). Sounds about right.