Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Forum Rescue Dogs

Abbi is lucky to such a caring family. Wishing you all the very best.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I have long felt that in some cases vets fees now indicate how much they can get out of an insurance company rather than the true cost of the care.
    Of course not all vets are money grabbing ######s. When we first had Mungo, the vetinary practice that supported the rescue centre were very good and discounted a lot of his initial care. Unfortunately, they were quite a distance away and as I am away from home quite a bit and Mrs S does not drive, we have since moved to a more local vet. This is part of a national chain and so, somewhat understandably, run on a more commercial basis. Mungo is on one of their care plans but even this can be problematic as they keep on changing the terms and conditions and even if we do have to make a claim on the insurace they then charge you an admin fee.
    No doubt you've already tried but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may well be worth asking around for recommendations for other vets and with a bit of luck you may find someone more reasonable and sympathetic.
    Whatever happens I wish you and Abbi all the best luck
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I'm saddened to hear about Abbi and her conditions. I don't personally blame the vets generally, less those in London who charge a standard £50 per consultation and you must take your dog every 6 months for a check up if they are in medication. Our Collie was epileptic which we found out about the day after bringing him home. He was no where near as bad as Abbi. He only had about 7 ceasures in the 9 years we had him but it is distressing when you see it. He lost all spacial awareness and knowledge of where he was or who we were but only for a few hours.

Good luck.

P2090127.jpg
    P2090152.jpg
    A sad update on our beautiful gentle sweet Abbi.
    Yesterday was heartbreaking in our home. We collected Abbi from Merlin Animal Rescue 15 months ago to join our family of 3 dogs. She had an epileptic fit 3 weeks later. We tried so hard to control her epilepsy. Each episode was more severe than the last. A new treatment was started just 4 months ago and we knew it was her last chance. Sadly on Monday morning she had another severe fit followed by 11 more throughout the day and 9 yesterd
    ay. Our vet said they could do no more. We took the heartbreaking desision to let her go to sleep and stop her suffering yesterday evening. Yesterday was Abbi's day with lots of love, cuddles and kisses. We started with a walk with just us up above our home. In the afternoon she played with Beau (another Merlin rescue Border Collie who joined our family 5 weeks ago) in the field behind our home. Thank you all at Merlin for your support over the last year. We loved you Abbi and wish things could of been different. To our beautiful, sweet, gentle Abbi RIP little one. We miss you so much xxx

Such sad news - I have a tear in my eye as I write this. At least you can console yourself with the fact that you gave her the best shot in life she could possibly have had. Remember the good times with Abbi and look forward to the fun you will have with Beau.
    All the best

Pete
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

RTS, this is such sad news about Abbi after her illness. Due to this recent news I have held off posting our news as it seemed inappropriate and insensitive, but I feel the time may now be right for this other story.

As we all like a good animal rescue story I thought I should share our dog fostering success but also know there are many border collie lovers on here so I should advertise an excellent charity with the hope that some others may decide that they would like to help.

18 months ago we lost our 13.5 yr old BC leaving us eith Tess who is 8. We never wanted another dog as it felt wrong to replace Rob, but Tess had noticeably become depressed and not her normal personality so we recently changed our minds. Keily found this great voluntary organisation "Protecting Preloved Border Collies". After chatting to several people in their oganisation and looking at what they offer and how they do it, we got our home assessed with the view of finding the right dog. We decided on the type of BC we wanted taking into account our 2 young children and Tess, plus what we were prepared to take on. We wanted to offer a mid aged dog a home as they are normally over looked as everyone generally wants puppies or younger dogs. Anyway, we found Shadrack a 7 yr male. I picked him up from a foster family on 16th Jan and he will be with us under a foster time for 4 to 6 weeks until we can adopt him at the end of Feb. Tess has taken to him with just the odd minor squabble, but these are to be expected and the kids adore him, although the name had to go. Shaddie or Shads is acceptable, but not Shadrack. Many of his mannerisms are similar to Rob's although there are some work on points, his pulling on a lead is bad, sings and whines in the car and he barks when off the lead and you are not throwing a ball. All this said he is FANTASTIC and will be permanent fixture of the Chester family in a weeks time.

I must say a word about PPBC as I can do nothing but offer praise about this charity. They have a network of volunteers across the country and will always take in BCs that are in need or are found being advertised as free on sites such as GumTree. This prevents dog fighting dog owners getting them and using them as bait, apparently this is on the increase and they look at the classified adds for free dogs to train against - I had never heard about this. The foster families look after these dogs until a forever home can be found and they even volunteer to assist with the transporting of dogs to save people from doing long drives. As a foster family you do not even have to cover all costs of a dog - this is agreeable with the organisation in advance ref vet fees, feed etc and they provide insurance. They are always there for support, advice of any type as and when requested. Each dog in temporary foster care has their own Facebook page where updates are provided, this allows you to follow an animal that you may be interested in. If you are unable to adopt they are always seeking volunteers for temporary fostering, assisting with transport or doing home checks. Every dog is offered a chance so no BC will be put to sleep though this charity.

Paul & Shads 1.jpg
    Shaddie 1.jpg
    Last edited by sore legs; 22-02-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Hi SL
    Never worry about spreading good news about our rescued 4 legged friends. Abbi had a good life, all be it a short one. Her fits were so severe it was heartbreaking. No treatment worked. :-( We still miss her dreadfully.
    We are so pleased you have given another BC a lovely home. He is very lucky :-) We love the name hahaha. Keep us informed as to how he gets on. Good luck and best wishes.

Our 3 are missing Abbi too and Beau has started chewing a little since she went but we hope he will settle down again soon. He is a bit of a live wire.

One thing we do know anyone having a BC had better be prepared for lots of exercise!
    P2130148.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    RTS, this is such sad news about Abbi after her illness. Due to this recent news I have held off posting our news as it seemed inappropriate and insensitive, but I feel the time may now be right for this other story.

As we all like a good animal rescue story I thought I should share our dog fostering success but also know there are many border collie lovers on here so I should advertise an excellent charity with the hope that some others may decide that they would like to help.

18 months ago we lost our 13.5 yr old BC leaving us eith Tess who is 8. We never wanted another dog as it felt wrong to replace Rob, but Tess had noticeably become depressed and not her normal personality so we recently changed our minds. Keily found this great voluntary organisation "Protecting Preloved Border Collies". After chatting to several people in their oganisation and looking at what they offer and how they do it, we got our home assessed with the view of finding the right dog. We decided on the type of BC we wanted taking into account our 2 young children and Tess, plus what we were prepared to take on. We wanted to offer a mid aged dog a home as they are normally over looked as everyone generally wants puppies or younger dogs. Anyway, we found Shadrack a 7 yr male. I picked him up from a foster family on 16th Jan and he will be with us under a foster time for 4 to 6 weeks until we can adopt him at the end of Feb. Tess has taken to him with just the odd minor squabble, but these are to be expected and the kids adore him, although the name had to go. Shaddie or Shads is acceptable, but not Shadrack. Many of his mannerisms are similar to Rob's although there are some work on points, his pulling on a lead is bad, sings and whines in the car and he barks when off the lead and you are not throwing a ball. All this said he is FANTASTIC and will be permanent fixture of the Chester family in a weeks time.

I must say a word about PPBC as I can do nothing but offer praise about this charity. They have a network of volunteers across the country and will always take in BCs that are in need or are found being advertised as free on sites such as GumTree. This prevents dog fighting dog owners getting them and using them as bait, apparently this is on the increase and they look at the classified adds for free dogs to train against - I had never heard about this. The foster families look after these dogs until a forever home can be found and they even volunteer to assist with the transporting of dogs to save people from doing long drives. As a foster family you do not even have to cover all costs of a dog - this is agreeable with the organisation in advance ref vet fees, feed etc and they provide insurance. They are always there for support, advice of any type as and when requested. Each dog in temporary foster care has their own Facebook page where updates are provided, this allows you to follow an animal that you may be interested in. If you are unable to adopt they are always seeking volunteers for temporary fostering, assisting with transport or doing home checks. Every dog is offered a chance so no BC will be put to sleep though this charity.

I first came across PPBC through various posts on twitter and the like and they do a stirling job - glad you have had such a positive experience. I have recommended them to others who are considering adopting along with the Border Collie Trust which is based in Staffordshire who also do a fine job.

Glad another BC has ended up in a loving home - shame about the name but they are bright and will soon adapt to a new one. Mungo thankfully didn't have one as he had only just been taken into care as a stray so we got to choose.

Good luck and keep us posted with progress.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

A little write up from our rescue fella -
    Beau here looking for a dry, run free home for the next 2 days to recover. ......
    "ooooo Beau" he said. "lets go to the lakes for a nice run". Yayyyyyy, I love the lakes (where's that?) sure I will love it though. Off we set from Stair (bloody appropriate) .. straight up Causey Pike. Looked back and could see Winnie rolling on the floor laughing her head off and pointing at us with her paw before going for a walk with mum. Now, to say it was raining, windy and a bit nippy does not do it justice. But I trust my dad.
    He shouted something above the wind about heading to Outside (I like it there they do nice cake in the cafe upstairs), I felt a lot happier now. We reached OUTERSIDE after a couple of stops and compass bearings. I couldnt see my feet let alone a cafe. Then it hit! I was a kite and dad had to grab me quick. Bloody sodding hell! Dad, what are you doing? Enough is enough. Abort mission, abort mission! Thank the dog gods he heard me and on reaching Coledale Hause (still no cafe) he took the path off to Eel Crag and back down to Causey Pike and the pub in Swinside where Winnie was still sniggering warm by the fire. Dad, me and you need to have words. I love running but I'm not happy flying so sort yourself out fella before doing anything like that again. Home now, fed and warm. Having cuddles with dad on the chair. I think we understand each other