Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Forum Rescue Dogs

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Just checked out his pic. He's really sweet!
    Thanks again. Off to the lakes today so no doubt will get a few fells under his belt this week.

Yes - he's a cute! Still nervous but getting more confident by the day. Put on a few pounds since that last pic too.
    IMAG0313.jpg
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

My collie Harry, who is four years old, runs with me all the time. On average I'd guess we run 50 miles a week but he recently did 167 miles of the Cornish coastpath in 9 days (including getting bitten by an adder near Lands End on the last day). His longest run to date is 35 miles but he was still chipper and good to go at the end of that. I'd echo what was said before about being careful in hot weather and making sure that the route incorporates lot of water sources but, other than that, collies are perfect running buddies

I've got a rescue Staffy X, possibly mixed with collie. He will run and run!! He's a bit of a loveable menace but defo got the running bug! 20 mile run then back home for silly games! Sometimes I havent got the energy!!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

We have had Winnie now (from the original post) for 2 years and 2 weeks. Super little girl that is great around everyone and everything.
    2014-10-22 12.52.16.jpg

Today we trotted over to Wales and added another little rescue girl to our family. She is lovely and very affectionate. Think she is about 3-5 years old and the rescue centre has named her Abbi.
    So everyone say hello to Abbi
    Abbi.jpg

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    We have had Winnie now (from the original post) for 2 years and 2 weeks. Super little girl that is great around everyone and everything.
    2014-10-22 12.52.16.jpg

Today we trotted over to Wales and added another little rescue girl to our family. She is lovely and very affectionate. Think she is about 3-5 years old and the rescue centre has named her Abbi.
    So everyone say hello to Abbi
    Abbi.jpg

Welcome Abbi! She is a lovely looking girl - hope she settles in well. Good to hear Winnie is doing fine too. Mungo is still a bit of a barker but running off the lead with me now (11 miler this morning) and far less stressed than he was 10 months ago. Generally adorable and I can't imagine life without him.

Hello Abbi, you little stunner !
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

We have had Abbi for just over 3 weeks now and I think it's safe to say that she has settled in well 2014-12-05 00.09.45.jpg

Got to love an upside down dog.

Not really a 'rescue dog' per se, but we 'inherited' a little Westie who was about a year old from a friend, as she had to move into a smaller flat and didn't feel it was fair on him.

I wasn't really a dog person (having had a few go for me as a child), but he's definitely grown on me with his adorable and loyal character, he just seems to love people (especially children) and wants to play or snuggle up all the time. Usually take him out for a mile each night as I don't want to overdo it, then every so often he gets a decent walk (the day after we got him we did about 6 miles fartlek on the way back as I realised I'd ran out of time on the parking!!, then a couple of days after that he walked 17 - destroyed me in my unfit state!!) if possible up on the hills, he loves bounding over the heather.

He''s also a bit of a local character as he loves to sit in the bay window, then whever a dog comes up the culdesac charge through his flap and bark at them as the pass up the alleyway by our back door (or vice versa), or stick his nose through the fence to say hello.

Only thing is he's not great as a running partner - tend to go off too hard and then wants to stop and sniff at something at frequent intervals! - which makes getting back any semblance of fitness very difficult!!).

It's funny how Westies are often stereotyped as a lazy sleepy little dog, but actually given the chance they are hyperactive, very playful and full of energy with a lot of stamina! Or maybe mine's just a bit different? Because he spends a lot of time in the outdoors we got him cropped back to make getting the mud off easier, but still has his Westie face, however, his tail is longer than most people expect (think a lot of Westies have had their tales docked at some point) and people wonder if he has something else in him or ask what he is, but as far as we are aware he's supposed to be a thoroughbred.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Nice one Alan. Fair play to you for taking him on.
    I believe Westies were originally working/hunting dogs. White in colour so they could be seen when up on the moors. I think it could just be that some owners are lazy and sleepy.