Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Isle of Man, Mountain-Ultra.

Hi Alan, if you fancy the shorter race this year i'm sure we can organise a lift for you ! But you can also get a bus direct form Douglas to St Johns and the start of you prefer

Unfortunately if we don't get an influx of entries very shortly this could very well be its last year, we have been trying very hard over the last 4/5 years to resurrect its popularity but with very little success. 2015 Was fantastic with the support we received from the runners and organisers of the RunFurther league but without this for 2016 we are again struggling. For a small club and small committee mainly made up of runners its a huge effort to put on and we really need 100 runners on the start line to make it worth it, otherwise we have more officials, first aiders and Civil Defence than competitors.

Infact we only took the decision not to cancel this years event last night at our meeting in support of the off island runners who have already entered for this year.

Its such a shame we only ever receive great feedback, but this doest seem to boost the entries.

Murph
    Good going down !!

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Hi Alan, if you fancy the shorter race this year i'm sure we can organise a lift for you ! But you can also get a bus direct form Douglas to St Johns and the start of you prefer

Unfortunately if we don't get an influx of entries very shortly this could very well be its last year, we have been trying very hard over the last 4/5 years to resurrect its popularity but with very little success. 2015 Was fantastic with the support we received from the runners and organisers of the RunFurther league but without this for 2016 we are again struggling. For a small club and small committee mainly made up of runners its a huge effort to put on and we really need 100 runners on the start line to make it worth it, otherwise we have more officials, first aiders and Civil Defence than competitors.

Infact we only took the decision not to cancel this years event last night at our meeting in support of the off island runners who have already entered for this year.

Its such a shame we only ever receive great feedback, but this doest seem to boost the entries.

Murph
    Thanks for the offer Mark. I shall look into it and enter the mountain race ASAP.
    It would be a great shame if you did have to cancel it. It is a great race and deserves a larger field. I'm a bit surprised that at least 70 or 80 locals wouldn't be up for it every year. For anyone on the mainland not near a connected ferry port or airport, it would take a lot of travelling/ organising I suppose. I know for me personally (being a poor "on sight" navigator), the first year I was slightly put off by the chance of getting lost. I still think advertising, and running it as a flagged course like the Sky ultra races (would they be interested in keeping it going?), would attract more from oversea. It would also level the field in terms of local knowledge.