Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Isle of Man, Mountain-Ultra.

Re: Isle of Man, Mountain-Ultr

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    New event website now launched -
    http://www.isleofmanmountainultra.com/
    I like the new event website murph and I have already entered (half-price I couldn't resist ). It will be my third MMM and I am looking forward to it again (touch wood I don't get injured again this year!)
    No country for old men.

Fantastic Alf great too see people returning, any particular reasons for coming back for another go ? Anything we can improve on ?

Only 129 days to go - www.isleofmanmountainultra.com !
    Good going down !!

With a little over 2 months to go now until this race entries are still slow to materialise, in order to prevent this race being lost for future years due to poor entries what can we as a club do to make thi smore appealing ?

We changed the date to a cheaper time of year to travel,

We dropped the early entry fee to £10,

We incresed the distance and climbing to encourage the Ultra crowd,

We have introduced a new shorter Race option,

We changed the name as feedback led us to believe the "marathon" tag was misleading,

And we still dont see any resurgence in entry numbers, i'm sure their are plenty of forum members on here who have run this in its guise as the Manx Mountain Marathon in the past and some who will be running it again in the future but what do you as runners want to see from it, looking forward to 2014 and possibly its last throw of the dice to improve entry numbers what can we do to entice runners to this fantastic course. Or am i just biased is my love of it unfounded?
    Any sensible comments would be well recieved.

Thanks
    Murph.
    Good going down !!

I guess for some Sept is just a very busy month ( I notice the Raid 6 and 12) planned for 7 Sept is also cancelled due to lack of numbers. For me Sept already has BS Hike or Across Wales walk, then LDMT, the HP40 or Hardmoors 60 then RAB MM. ronically I have nothing written in for Oct 12-13 yet.. altho that could be an error. It may also be the extra hassle and cost of getting to IofM that puts some people off eg I live in Lancs but can't leave work til 3ish. The nenrty fee seems reasonable and I like the 50km and less road.

Master

Hi Murph
    I Have run the the evnt in the past and really enjoyed it and I figure the improvements will make it all the better, although I would love to come back and do the event again I am afraid it is the sheer cost of getting over to the Isle with my campervan is just to great, now maybe if some sort of deal could be struck up for bulk bookings with Steam Packet Co for entrants then the event may be a little more affordable. ( I doubt though that as a monopoly holder the Steam Packet Co would be very forthcoming)

Good Luck and I wish you every success
    The older I get the Faster I was

I did it last year and loved it. My only problem was going wrong twice. Whilst trying to keep the leading lady in sight; she went over Carraghan too far ahead and I went straight on instead of turning right on the summit. 10 minutes of faffing with the map (that I had stupidly put away and wasn't following ) ensued. Straight after that, flustered, I went up Colden through the heather too far right.
    On the website it mentions that a recce is highly recommended. But that is unreasonable for the majority of us "main landers" due to the expense. So it does play into the hands of you local guys a bit too much ( hence me trying to follow one to my cost ) especially if you aren't a great navigator like me.
    I know it would be difficult to do, but I do think it would be improved by being flagged in total, or at least as much as possible, to negate the lack of recce opportunity for most.
    That said I have entered again for this year, and will keep my map handy this time, and pray for no fog again as well!

im looking forward to this race, 2 of us from my club are travelling over. I just loved the idea of running that distance somewhere I'd not been before. making a weekend of it with the wife. im really hoping for clear weather as yes it is really impractical ti recce for us travelling over will have route marked on a map and will study parts to give me best chance of completing easier. it would beca real shame to lose this race but I think its the cost of travel/accommodation that puts runners off also 50k probably wont lure the vast majority of ultra runners. however im really looking forward to my trip so thank you in advance for putting it on.

You had a cracking race last year Alan, im sure without the nav mishap you would of been much higher up the standings although as it was you still put in a good strong time.
    Thats a fair point tho and one ill bring up at tonights meeting, although marking the whole course would be impracticle, we may have to look at marking the trickier sections, especially as we seem to have lost more of the pure fell runners and have gained from the Ultra and Trail runners.

Murph
    Last edited by murph; 01-08-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Good going down !!

I agree with Alan.. I lost loads of time the year I was second..

But I wouldn't lower the price.. 10 for an ultra is plenty cheap enough..

Its just an expensive weekend with the rest.. race price is immaterial..

Getting in on national calendars, trail champ lists etc should help, but its a race on a small island which is hard to get too..

September is a busy month but most months are, well August is quiet often but then wouldn't travel be more?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I did it last year and loved it. My only problem was going wrong twice. Whilst trying to keep the leading lady in sight; she went over Carraghan too far ahead and I went straight on instead of turning right on the summit. 10 minutes of faffing with the map (that I had stupidly put away and wasn't following ) ensued. Straight after that, flustered, I went up Colden through the heather too far right.
    On the website it mentions that a recce is highly recommended. But that is unreasonable for the majority of us "main landers" due to the expense. So it does play into the hands of you local guys a bit too much ( hence me trying to follow one to my cost ) especially if you aren't a great navigator like me.
    I know it would be difficult to do, but I do think it would be improved by being flagged in total, or at least as much as possible, to negate the lack of recce opportunity for most.
    That said I have entered again for this year, and will keep my map handy this time, and pray for no fog again as well!
    Those are not mistakes. That's what I normally do.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice