Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Highlander MM

Re: Highlander MM

Bad luck there matthew. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Ouch! The sort of thing I keep expecting to do, but somehow haven't yet.
    I guess the 7/6 hour thing didn't affect me, as I just knew it was 7 so didn't even check the website. No idea how I knew, I've not done this event before
    We had the opposite of you - a good day 1 and poor day 2. Chose the near start, as the far one required commitment to the extra distance before we knew what conditions underfoot were like - if it was deep soft snow we'd have been scuppered. It wasn't, but felt a good decision anyway, as there were plenty of controls to optional add or remove. Despite horrendous cramp in both legs for the last 4 hours, we finished in 11th place with 72 seconds to spare.
    Day 2 we couldn't immediately spot a good line, so chose a starting control (CQ above the woods) and made the rest up as we climbed the hill. Apart from taking almost an hour to get ther(!), I thought we picked out a good option, but apparently not, finishing with 13 minutes left and 19th place. It'll be interesting looking at the results later to see where everyone else went!

Nice photos T. In hindsight the 7hours thing shouldn't have effected me, but on the day it threw me. Then spending an hour and a half waiting for a bus for the start really dampened my enthusiasm for the event. Again, it shouldn't have but it did.

We hit CQ as well, the woods were a steep like hike, CO, CD, CR on top of Gael Charn, sped down to the inaccurately labelled dried up stream :w00t:, the waterfalls on Pipers Burn, up Allt Chuimeanaich to the small tarn. across the squelchy slush marsh to the 3 cairns, then the 834 spot height, round the back of Meall na h Uinneig, down to the 10 on the stream and through to the compulsory 5pointer, then snap:angry:.

Back at the hospital, they couldn't tell if the fracture was new or old so no need for a cast, but significant ligament damage. Oh well.

Master

Much the same as us - except we didn't do Geal Charn! I'd suffered so much from cramp the day before that we decided not to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    So - a great event. The best mountain marathon there is, in my view, for the locations, laid back friendly organisation & small scale. We'll be back next year - to finish the course this time!
    Hey up Splatcher!
    Good to meet you and your oppo. Sorry to hear you had to cut the weekend short.

See you next year
    All the best
    Steve

Another top event. Many thanks to all who made the Highlander MM happen:thumbup:

Some photos here
    https://picasaweb.google.com/sbrt144...eat=directlink

Great photos sbrt. The woman with the pink baloon is Stef F (forumite) celebrating her birthday and having a splendid run on the Scottish hills.

What a fantastic weekend - 16th MM but we were total rubbish (Score, or in our case, Headless Chicken Class) and no where near fit enough for a 7 hour first day. But the views stunning - Creag Meagaid, and Munros further afield (wish we'd had time to stop and count!). Jogging down hill, in deep snow, trying not to go A over T, must be one of the most undervalued of pleasures. The marquis, although maybe frowned up on by purists, was also a great idea. Many thanks to everyone and anyone who organised, helped-out, sponsored and/or supported this event. We'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Great photos sbrt. The woman with the pink baloon is Stef F (forumite) celebrating her birthday and having a splendid run on the Scottish hills.
    Thanks ydt
    Congratulations to you both, on being 1st vets:thumbup:
    Hope Stef F had a good birthday. I see lots of people turned up for her party.

Attachment 6936