Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highlander MM

Re: Highlander MM

Ordered Microspikes and some sealskin socks. Whilst they don't keep your feet dry they will keep them warm!

Master

Interesting forecast at the moment.
    Wednesday: snow
    Thursday: snow
    Friday: snow
    Saturday: snow
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641542

Was up in the hills around Loch Ossian at the weekend and a lot less snow than I was expecting considering how much there had been the previous week further south. had microspikes and an axe but any snow quite soft so need for the former and only used the axe a couple of times descending long steep tongues of snow for some extra security. Quite a bit in some northern facing corries and plenty cornices about though.

Did look northwards to Meagaidh/Monadlaith area and remember thinking there wasn't a lot. You never know though!

Found this walk report from Monday on Walkhighlands with pics:
    http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum...hp?f=9&t=30908
    Last edited by jmacewan; 23-04-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added link to walk report

I'm really looking forward to this. A birthday mountain marathon :w00t:

Now then; do I take my swanky new 600 down PHD sleeping bag or the good old Marmot Helium...decisions decisions!

Stef
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

After looking at the forecast, I'd be inclined to take both! Brrrrrrr......
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

I'm taking the rum Linda
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Well that was a bit of a fiasco, but we had a great time too, or at least I did. We drove through heavy sideways snow crossing Drumochter on Friday evening & were thinking the worst. The campsite at Newtonmore was waterlogged, but at least there was no snow down at that level, & no rain either. The lady running the campsite pointed us to a dry spot between two caravans, & relieved us of £5 - for two people a tent & a car, which is the best value campsite I've been on for a very long time. Basic of course, but we needed no more. I bunged up Mrs Splatcher's old bombproof tent & we headed off into town to register, via booking a table for dinner at the Glen Hotel. We registered, & I looked longingly at the new Haglofs lightweight waterproof tops - reduced to £200 for the event. I haven't got that sort of money at the moment though. Then back to the Glen Hotel. Another couple of runners offered to share a table with us to avoid us waiting, & one turned out to be sbrt of this parish - hi Steve, & thanks! If you're ever in Newtonmore, head for the Glen Hotel - very friendly people running it, good food, choice of real ales, reduction for Camra members.

Next day the weather was great & we got an early bus to the C class start by Loch Laggan. A good romp up the valley to Coire Ardair via a couple of checkpoints, into loads of new snow. The coire was absolutely stunning in the snow with the sun on it - big cliffs round a large lochan. We climbed buckets up to the col, put microspikes on & continued up to the summit of Stob Poite Coire Ardair. By this time it was clear that something wasn't right with my partner. Normally he starts off faster than me, but he hadn't today, & he was slowing down a lot on the way up to the col. He got worse as we picked off the next 2 or 3 CPs, & started coughing & sweating. He'd been down with a flu bug the previous week, & hadn't recovered enough to be doing what we were trying to do. We had to walk the last few miles, & although we finished the course it was clear he was in no state for day 2. We waved the white flag & got a lift back to Newtonmore & I drove the 6 hours back home.

So - a great event. The best mountain marathon there is, in my view, for the locations, laid back friendly organisation & small scale. We'll be back next year - to finish the course this time!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

If it's any consolation, you had by far the best weather and terrain - today was more standard wind and rain, with a couple of blizzards thrown in for good measure!
    Splendid event - 1st Highlander I've done (we entered last year but had to cancel at the last minute due to illness). Hopefully the high number of entries this year wilol safeguard the event for a while longer.

Super Moderator

Results here

Well done Stef and Yiannis
    Poacher turned game-keeper

We had a very mixed Highlander, with many highs and lows. A couple of the lows were due to the organisation and planning which weren't major things but just abit annoying. Mainly it was being told on Saturday morning that actually it's a 7hour score event not a 6hour as stated on all the publicity. An extra hour is quite substantial, it's extra hill food to take and extra mental prep. All it would have taken was an email the day before saying "sorry we've made a mistake, bring an extra 2 mars bars". I'll be emailing the organisers with a couple of other points which are minor things.
    We were on the score class and think we messed up choosing the near start. Lovely scenery, great fun snow running, well placed and "easy" to find checkpoints. We were sat in 22nd at midcamp. Enjoyed the free food, and did a spot of dancing. Good day. Having had a poor run on Day 1 we set off at an easy pace on Day 2 but managed to get the same number of points as day1. We were moving well right up until 800m from the finish. Heading fast down the hill past the last compulsory checkpoint as the thought "Please God don't let my partner snap her ankles" I went and snapped my ankle. Thankyou for the concern shown by all runners and the trekking pole lent by lady in the score class. It took me 25minutes to do that last 800m. We lost 42points, but still managed to come in 15th! After the 5hour drive home, 4hours in A&E it turns out I've fractured something, and torn ligaments. I have to go back today to have a bigger cast put on.Hoping for a speedy recovery.