Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 154

Thread: Liars and Cheats, named

  1. #131
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    6,057
    And look out, there's a red under your bed mate!
    It is very sad to relate that the medical school I went to did discriminate....and even advertised the fact!
    It was given information that all Welsh universities would take 2/3 of the intake from schools in the Welsh education system. Terrible behaviour. Think of all those poor striving etonians denied a place at the finest seat of medical learning in the land!!!
    I am Kuno.

  2. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    Some of you lefties are sneering at facts that are obvious, even to a goat. Mossdog allowed Noel's sarcasm to cloud his/her judgement in regard to me in the last paragraph of post 129, implying I have some personal vendetta against Doctors because I was rejected or denied access to medical school. Jumping on Noel's mistaken bandwagon.

    But in a way Mossdog and Mike-T have already implied the points I was making. The term the 'common good' - maybe Mossdog's interpretation of compassion etc - is a term synonymous with socialists I.e. lefties. In other words if you don't subscribe to that view - socialised medicine - you'll never get a place at university medical school.

    Mike-T has told you he wasn't interviewed for medical school but others with equal exam results were interviewed. Why were they and he not? I'll tell you forumites: it's because universities do discriminate on the basis of upbringing,the school you went to, political beliefs and others not related to ability.

    Medicine is just one of them. An example I chose
    I had begun to think that CL's interventions were just a wind-up -- maybe he thought the Forum had become too tame -- but now that he has repeated his unfounded assertions so often, I conclude that either he actually believes what he is writing, or else he doesn't recognise when a wind-up ceases to be funny. I shall assume the former.

    But there is a half-truth in this latest intervention: there is a kind of discrimination in university admissions, even to the East of Offa's Dyke. With regard to upbringing: if an applicant has been in care, or otherwise has had difficult family circumstances, they may be accepted with lower grades than otherwise. With regard to which school they went to: if it is in an area from which very few young people have been going into Higher Education, they might be accepted with lower grades. But the point of all this is to ensure that factors other than ability do not affect chances of going to university, by trying to compensate for socio-economic or other disadvantage.

    As for political beliefs, I never had any clue about the political beliefs of a single one of the thousands of students whose admission to my university I have been responsible for. They never expressed political beliefs in their Personal Statements, and it never came up in discussions when they visited my Department. And I am sure that this is true of admissions to medical schools, or in any other subject (except possibly Politics!).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  3. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post

    Mike-T has told you he wasn't interviewed for medical school but others with equal exam results were interviewed. Why were they and he not? I'll tell you forumites: it's because universities do discriminate on the basis of upbringing,the school you went to, political beliefs and others not related to ability.
    I could be wrong, but my interpretation of Mike-T's post was that there was a tie exam-results wise for the last few places, so they interviewed those few who were tied to see who got the last place. e.g. there were 100 places available, 98 applicants got marks of 80% or more (Mike-T was one of these) then 5 applicants got 79% and the remaining applicants achieved less than 79%. Those applicants who got 79% were interviewed as a tie-breaker to decide which got the last 2 places.

    Interesting discussion though. Thanks for starting it CL. I'm interested to read where it goes.

  4. #134
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    6,057
    CL means what he says. His viewpoint comes from beyond the second deviation. Which is why most people struggle with it! But it's valid non the less and always sparks debate.

  5. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post

    As for political beliefs, I never had any clue about the political beliefs of a single one of the thousands of students whose admission to my university I have been responsible for. They never expressed political beliefs in their Personal Statements, and it never came up in discussions when they visited my Department. And I am sure that this is true of admissions to medical schools, or in any other subject (except possibly Politics!).
    I asked my son (Consultant/ Cambridge PhD) about this thread and his observation was that whilst he didn't believe holding socialist views was a factor in gaining/ not gaining admission to Medical School, working in the NHS, (as he does ie no private work), might well develop them later.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  6. #136
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    I could be wrong, but my interpretation of Mike-T's post was that there was a tie exam-results wise for the last few places, so they interviewed those few who were tied to see who got the last place. e.g. there were 100 places available, 98 applicants got marks of 80% or more (Mike-T was one of these) then 5 applicants got 79% and the remaining applicants achieved less than 79%. Those applicants who got 79% were interviewed as a tie-breaker to decide which got the last 2 places.

    Interesting discussion though. Thanks for starting it CL. I'm interested to read where it goes.
    That's correct - the interviews were just for the last few places to separate out those with equal marks right at the cut off point. I was in the majority - not interviewed as we got higher marks. I think they interviewed about 12 out of 120 or so.

  7. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    CL means what he says. His viewpoint comes from beyond the second deviation. Which is why most people struggle with it! But it's valid non the less and always sparks debate.
    The problem is that he invalidates his arguments by making outrageous claims with no basis in fact. He is his own worst enemy, making his own viewpoint look ridiculous.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  8. #138
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    6,057
    Of course. Dont bite!
    I am Kuno.

  9. #139
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,633
    So there is political discrimination in choosing students Mr Kay? Glad you're starting to see my side of the argument even though you try to justify it. I hope those youngsters with better grades and denied places on this POLITICAL basis agree.

  10. #140
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,633
    Come off it Wheeze. Human beings are more subtle than to ask you to show your Labour card when ascertaining an individual 'leftie.'

Similar Threads

  1. Football cheats
    By Mike T in forum General chat!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-04-2012, 09:43 PM
  2. DQ the cheats
    By Woodzy in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 409
    Last Post: 24-11-2011, 07:15 PM
  3. Wrongly named fells and such.
    By Nathaniel Lee in forum General chat!
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 25-09-2011, 05:46 PM
  4. Officially Named
    By ukhursty in forum General chat!
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
  5. Cheats
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 23-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •