Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Liars and Cheats, named

Master

Re: Liar's and Cheats, named

As a leveller, maybe we should allow our jurors to be assisted in some way? I love it when threads converge.
    Powered by Ugali.

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    .. maybe we should allow our jurors to be assisted in some way?
    Just as long as it's not Google :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Just as long as it's not Google :wink:
    Indeed, or Dougal for that matter. Which could, in a French court be deemed a load of Pollux.
    Last edited by OB1; 20-02-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Absolute Pollux - Google and see
    Powered by Ugali.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Maybe South Africa has got the better idea. Judges tend not to be this stupid.

Out-of-touch, sexist, bigotted, biased perhaps, but generally not stupid.
    Out of that list I'd prefer to be tried by the stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Um the jury was really really thick (sorry but it's true).[/url]
    On second thoughts, I take it all back.. maybe the jurors were too clever to allow themselves to be used as pawns in a politically-motivated trialmediacircus..

Yes, they have to prove who was driving... the ex HB and I had an issue, it went to court, we won... We were moving to S Wales that weekend and were up and down the road where the speeding offence took place several times in two vehicles we both drove, so we genuinely didn't remember who was driving which car when... It was probably me who was speeding, but the photo's weren't conclusive either, so we held up they had to prove who it was and they couldn't so the judge ruled in our favour. Bit of a cumbersome process though to get out of a speeding ticket, it is easier to just pay and be done with it, unless you already have 9 points on your licence...

Think they have changed the law since and now it is up to the registered keeper of the vehicle to pay the fine or prove it wasn't him/her...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    This must happen from time to time, though I suspect many "we do not know who was driving" cases are just an attempt to get away with it - does anyone know what the law says in such cases?
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Yes, they have to prove who was driving... the ex HB and I had an issue, it went to court, we won... We were moving to S Wales that weekend and were up and down the road where the speeding offence took place several times in two vehicles we both drove, so we genuinely didn't remember who was driving which car when... It was probably me who was speeding, but the photo's weren't conclusive either, so we held up they had to prove who it was and they couldn't so the judge ruled in our favour. Bit of a cumbersome process though to get out of a speeding ticket, it is easier to just pay and be done with it, unless you already have 9 points on your licence...

Think they have changed the law since and now it is up to the registered keeper of the vehicle to pay the fine or prove it wasn't him/her...
    I believe it is up to the registered vehicle owner Hanneke, but you can request the photo evidence and as per your situation if this is not clear then the emphasis is then on them to prove who the driver was. I am lead to believe that many photos are not clear, it is just up to the driver/owner to take the chance of a £120 fine rather than the discounted £60 if you pay within 30 days, which I think is somewhat of a bullying way to get people to pay up immediately.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I believe it is up to the registered vehicle owner Hanneke, but you can request the photo evidence and as per your situation if this is not clear then the emphasis is then on them to prove who the driver was. I am lead to believe that many photos are not clear, it is just up to the driver/owner to take the chance of a £120 fine rather than the discounted £60 if you pay within 30 days, which I think is somewhat of a bullying way to get people to pay up immediately.
    No. The onus is on you to provide the information you have available to you. If you don't they might not be able to prove the speeding but you'll potentially get 6 points for failing to provide info as to ID of driver. Be careful about these notices.

I seem to remember we gave them both our details saying one of us, but we don't remember which one, which put the ball back in their court...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Master

Looks like they both might end up behind bars.