Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duddon Short

maddaddy

Duddon Short

Just planning ahead some races and I am interested in Duddonshort in June. Anyone on here done it? How does it compare in difficulty toLangdale or Three Shires?

I have seen the map for the route how is the nav?

Cheers

Fellhound

Re: Duddon Short

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    Just planning ahead some races and I am interested in Duddonshort in June. Anyone on here done it? How does it compare in difficulty toLangdale or Three Shires?

I have seen the map for the route how is the nav?

Cheers
    It's not as long or tough as either of those but it is a good medium, comparable to Fairfield or maybe Kentmere. Early nav to CPs in quarries often catches people out. Once up to Dow Crag it's as the Duddon Long - ie, good running with some tricky route choices.

A great race in it's own right which shouldn't be be considered a poor relation to it's big brother. This one is a race for racers!

I'd like to echo all that is said above. It's a good route but you must be confident with the navigation, particularly in bad weather. It often attracts small (ish) numbers so you cannot rely upon following the snake of runners in front because it does get spread out. From memory, the first part is a good, rough traverse of the fellside to the wall corner. This isn't a problem because you can use the wall as a handrail. In bad weather the section from the wall corner to the Dow Crag checkpoint could be problematic but a bearing is easy enough to follow (if you go slightly wrong you will soon relocate once on the main paths either side of Dow Crag). The most difficult section is between White Pike and Caw - very rough ground, no paths - fine in clear weather but potentially problematic in mist. Winning times are usually around 1hr 40 so a bit longer than Fairfield. I think the main difference is that it is rough underfoot with very few paths to run on. It feels like a good rough fell race.

maddaddy

Thanks both really helpful

Please please have a go at this, i feel it's the most understated race in the Calendar, Short hmmmmm i tell you what when your on that final drag up Caw the last thing you will say is "it's short"
    Nav from personal plight get it right cos when its wrong its really wrong, last year bodies were strewn from sellafield to Coniston
    A classic in it's own right, one everybody should do, ps the party in the pub after is great as well!
    Going to try again....

Aye tis a great race this one, last year the clg was down and made it very challenging but still a fantastic adventure on the hills.
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Please please have a go at this, i feel it's the most understated race in the Calendar, Short hmmmmm i tell you what when your on that final drag up Caw the last thing you will say is "it's short"
    Nav from personal plight get it right cos when its wrong its really wrong, last year bodies were strewn from sellafield to Coniston
    A classic in it's own right, one everybody should do, ps the party in the pub after is great as well!
    Weren't you one of the Coniston Crew

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

There are worse places to end up than Coniston!

Is this on this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Is this on this year?
    Yes, very much on. 1st of June. The short race only takes entries on the day, and starts about 11.10.