Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

I think a pacemaker may be my only option - four ablations means that I possibly only have scar tissue around the pulmonary and nothing left to safely burn.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Banned
    Nothing to fear from a pacemaker.

40min opp, while still awake.

Back to running after 12 weeks.

All the best Chris.

Master
    Just to clarify: in general, pacemakers - which are for hearts that go too slow - do not "treat" AF, but occasionally they do help when
    1/ the AF is, in a complicated way, the result of the heart going too slow, and/or
    2/ the drugs needed to keep the heart out of AF result in it going too slow.

Best wishes to all!

A variety of reasons, but my visit to the cardiologist on Thursday was a complete waste of time, except the ECG confirmed my old Polar HRM is still working and I'm still at 110 resting pulse. Having still not read my notes (not his entire fault), his only way forward was to swap one pill for another. Being patient, I explained why I rejected this idea and suggested it may help if he spoke to the team at the Freeman........
    He hadn't at close of play on Friday, so looks like it'll be me and great support from my GP to make progress!
    Mike T, I'll let you see my 'history' if we ever meet up!

After 16 days in AF at 110, I am tired. AV node ablation and permanent pacemaker has been suggested as an option, though I've yet to see the team at Freeman - letter was sent four days after my visit. My GP checked and he wasn't included in the Carlisle letter, but he is now going to receive a copy. At least all my overworked other muscles are having a rest!

Banned
    Hope you get sorted soon Chris. Sounds very unpleasant and tiring.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    After 16 days in AF at 110, I am tired. AV node ablation and permanent pacemaker has been suggested as an option, though I've yet to see the team at Freeman - letter was sent four days after my visit. My GP checked and he wasn't included in the Carlisle letter, but he is now going to receive a copy. At least all my overworked other muscles are having a rest!
    Re pacemakers and AF I should have included:

3/ occasionally AF is persistent despite ablations and trials of multiple drugs, and the heart rate is too high, so the AV node is damaged - ablated - to slow/eliminate conduction from the atria to the ventricles - and a pacemaker is inserted so that the ventricles do not go too slow/stop - the pacemaker can also incorporate a degree of exercise responsiveness.

Thanks Mike, that has answered what I've been trying to get from Carlisle - the system there seems to be so much under pressure - I'm still waiting for any communication since my visit on 23rd March. GP has still not had a copy of what was sent to the Freeman, despite request and promise, he is trying direct to Freeman, may hear something today. The nursing team at Freeman have been supportive by phone and email but until they've actually seen me and/or had current diagnosis from Carlisle, its all 'may be' or 'possible'.

A 'round robin' of phone calls between respective secretaries in Carlisle and Newcastle this morning and I now know where letters have been sent and received, I should stop taking one set of pills and I'm on a priority list in Newcastle. Oh and I can tell my GP that Carlisle are in the process of letting him know. Its only taken three weeks of hell, but what a relief to find out something is happening!

Fitted into an extra clinic today and am now a 'work in progress', much more informed, another clinic after this current trial, limited options, but pleased to have the positive input. Still nothing from Carlisle........