Thread: Bruxism - teeth grinding

Bruxism - teeth grinding

On a recent visit to my new dentist for my annual check-up, he asked me if I ground my teeth at night. I was tempted to reply 'no', "I grind them during most waking hours of the day and who wouldn't after listening to the continued, crass, asininity of the news" - but I didn't, least he thought me a cantankerous old git. Clearly I'm not cantankerous.

He suggested that I could invest ($$$$) in some occlusal splints (also termed dental guards) and that these could help prevent wear. Not to push the pun but I certainly was 'wary', as my 'old' dentist never mentioned bruxism as an issue.

Seriously though, has anyone else experience of this condition? Is it a recent diagnostic fad amongst the dental world? Is it another geriatric condition I can add to the list I've already got to contend with?
    Last edited by Mossdog; 15-12-2022 at 06:41 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    No - I believe it is just another way of adding "value" (read profit) to your treatment.
    I was offered it too as I used to grind my teeth in my teens and early twenties. Don't now so the damage is done - what's the point?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Mossdog, I was sceptical when told the same thing some years ago. I remained sceptical even after several of my teeth cracked under the pressure. I even changed my dentist, but the new one told me the same thing and scared me even more with research about the enormous forces some people generate through their jaws every night without being aware of anything at all. Eventually, I caved in before the remainder of my teeth did. I didn't think I'd be able to tolerate a night guard, but it's actually OK. And it might be imagination, but my jaws do seem less tense in the morning.PeteS is clearly right though - a guard is only worth considering if bruxism is a current issue.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Mossdog, I was sceptical when told the same thing some years ago. I remained sceptical even after several of my teeth cracked under the pressure. I even changed my dentist, but the new one told me the same thing and scared me even more with research about the enormous forces some people generate through their jaws every night without being aware of anything at all. Eventually, I caved in before the remainder of my teeth did. I didn't think I'd be able to tolerate a night guard, but it's actually OK. And it might be imagination, but my jaws do seem less tense in the morning.PeteS is clearly right though - a guard is only worth considering if bruxism is a current issue.
    Thanks TF - appreciated you sharing your experiences.
    Am Yisrael Chai