Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    The general advice was to take things easy and listen to how I feel, my AFib was paroxysmal with attacks generally occurring 1 to 2 times a week, since the ablation I’ve had no instances of an irregular heartbeat but still feel that my heart rate is a little fast and don’t feel ready to move from the fast walking stage, it sounds like 6 weeks may be the correct timeframe although again based upon how I feel at the time.
    My partner Steve also had paroxysmal AF which increased in frequency from once every 5 weeks or so to several times each week which was when he opted for an ablation. Since his op (which was in 2016) he has had no further instances of AF and now runs just as competitively albeit with a few more years on the clock. He did have further tests in 2018 as he would sometimes experience a flutter which he put down to rogue impulses which could no longer get through the scar tissue around his pulmonary veins. He was given the all clear.

Immediately after his op he recce'd the Oldham Way Ultra with me and deliberately wore his walking boots so that he would not be tempted to run. From memory, he was back running after 5-6 weeks.

Good luck,
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    My partner Steve also had paroxysmal AF which increased in frequency from once every 5 weeks or so to several times each week which was when he opted for an ablation. Since his op (which was in 2016) he has had no further instances of AF and now runs just as competitively albeit with a few more years on the clock. He did have further tests in 2018 as he would sometimes experience a flutter which he put down to rogue impulses which could no longer get through the scar tissue around his pulmonary veins. He was given the all clear.

Immediately after his op he recce'd the Oldham Way Ultra with me and deliberately wore his walking boots so that he would not be tempted to run. From memory, he was back running after 5-6 weeks.

Good luck,
    Thanks for this Charmian, it sounds exactly like the way that my AFib progressed from occasional to more than one attack a week, it’s a really debilitating but invisible problem, I’m glad to hear that Steve is back running, my biggest problem at present is the worry that it’ll come back if I exercise too hard, I reckon it’ll take me a few weeks is easy running to get past this, it’s funny that you talk about the flutter, since my op that’s the only thing that I have noticed, I get the occasional ‘bump’ and nothing beyond this, hopefully this is similar to Steve’s flutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Thanks for this Charmian, it sounds exactly like the way that my AFib progressed from occasional to more than one attack a week, it’s a really debilitating but invisible problem, I’m glad to hear that Steve is back running, my biggest problem at present is the worry that it’ll come back if I exercise too hard, I reckon it’ll take me a few weeks is easy running to get past this, it’s funny that you talk about the flutter, since my op that’s the only thing that I have noticed, I get the occasional ‘bump’ and nothing beyond this, hopefully this is similar to Steve’s flutter.
    I see you are based in South Cumbria as are we (near Ulverston). If you would like to meet up with Steve to compare notes, I know he would be delighted. He used to say, " I reckon my heart will get me one day" but he has gained in confidence and now just gets on with life :-)
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    I see you are based in South Cumbria as are we (near Ulverston). If you would like to meet up with Steve to compare notes, I know he would be delighted. He used to say, " I reckon my heart will get me one day" but he has gained in confidence and now just gets on with life :-)
    Hi Charmian, that sounds great, I’ll send you a DM