Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Mine comes on randomly, without any physical reasons... I have recently realised I am coeliac. One of the symptoms: AF which I have had all of my life, randomly, no doctors have ever found out why/what causes it because they were looking in the wrong place! Transpires it is gluten 😱
    I read gluten can be a big trigger. Mine is alcohol (now tea total) and coffee but not tea!

Wow! Does this mean no more AF or is it too early to tell yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    Wow! Does this mean no more AF or is it too early to tell yet?
    Wish I was symptom free. 2 miles into a run last night it kicked in. The previous two runs nothing. It’s odd how it can come from nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Mine comes on randomly, without any physical reasons... I have recently realised I am coeliac. One of the symptoms: AF which I have had all of my life, randomly, no doctors have ever found out why/what causes it because they were looking in the wrong place! Transpires it is gluten 😱
    Wow!Does this mean no more AF or is it too early to tell yet?

Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    Wish I was symptom free. 2 miles into a run last night it kicked in. The previous two runs nothing. It’s odd how it can come from nowhere
    Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    Bugger.
    Done for another ablation in May

Quite a while since I've been on here, hoping all AF runners are in a good phase at the moment, I'm slow but content. I have permanent flutter on one side, so unable to do any sustained effort, but now able to judge walking pace uphill, without coming to a standstill. Option of another lead from the pacemaker, but only 50% chance of improvement, so I'm staying put until battery needs to be replaced.

Evening All, looks to be an old thread this but have struggled with AFib for the last couple of years, it got to the stage where any exercise was impossible, I’m now almost 3 weeks post Ablation, at the moment all looks good, no AFib so far, I’m back to fast walking, has anyone else on here had this, how long did it take to get back to normal running? Did you see any reduction in ability post Ablation?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Evening All, looks to be an old thread this but have struggled with AFib for the last couple of years, it got to the stage where any exercise was impossible, I’m now almost 3 weeks post Ablation, at the moment all looks good, no AFib so far, I’m back to fast walking, has anyone else on here had this, how long did it take to get back to normal running? Did you see any reduction in ability post Ablation?
    In general, in AF, the atria become enlarged, and this, by interfering with the speed of conduction of electrical impulses, "helps" to maintain AF. When normal sinus rhythm is restored, it takes several weeks - 6 is the figure often given - for the atria to shrink back to normal size. Before they are back to normal size, the risk of AF recurring is higher than when they have shrunk. So, for example, exercise + large atria = higher risk of recurrent AF than exercise + normal sized atria.

What did your Cardiologist say as to the timing of resuming significant exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    In general, in AF, the atria become enlarged, and this, by interfering with the speed of conduction of electrical impulses, "helps" to maintain AF. When normal sinus rhythm is restored, it takes several weeks - 6 is the figure often given - for the atria to shrink back to normal size. Before they are back to normal size, the risk of AF recurring is higher than when they have shrunk. So, for example, exercise + large atria = higher risk of recurrent AF than exercise + normal sized atria.

What did your Cardiologist say as to the timing of resuming significant exercise?
    The general advice was to take things easy and listen to how I feel, my AFib was paroxysmal with attacks generally occurring 1 to 2 times a week, since the ablation I’ve had no instances of an irregular heartbeat but still feel that my heart rate is a little fast and don’t feel ready to move from the fast walking stage, it sounds like 6 weeks may be the correct timeframe although again based upon how I feel at the time.