Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

  1. #21
    Grandmaster IanDarkpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the dark stuff
    Posts
    12,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    Good luck Daz. My partner Steve had Paroxysmal AF for a few years which was bearable when it was once a month or so but the incidences increased to several times a week so he went for the Ablation almost exactly a year ago. It seems to have been 100% successful and he has had no episodes since the op. He is now so much more confident and thoroughly enjoying his running again - a real pleasure to witness :-)
    ...and hard to chase down...

  2. #22
    Grandmaster IanDarkpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the dark stuff
    Posts
    12,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    Good luck Daz. My partner Steve had Paroxysmal AF for a few years which was bearable when it was once a month or so but the incidences increased to several times a week so he went for the Ablation almost exactly a year ago. It seems to have been 100% successful and he has had no episodes since the op. He is now so much more confident and thoroughly enjoying his running again - a real pleasure to witness :-)
    ...and hard to chase down...

  3. #23
    Master DazTheSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Manchester
    Posts
    3,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    Good luck Daz. My partner Steve had Paroxysmal AF for a few years which was bearable when it was once a month or so but the incidences increased to several times a week so he went for the Ablation almost exactly a year ago. It seems to have been 100% successful and he has had no episodes since the op. He is now so much more confident and thoroughly enjoying his running again - a real pleasure to witness :-)
    which sort of ablation did he have?
    my insurance lady blanched at the cost of the "cryo" that my consultant seems keen on...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun to run

  4. #24
    Master BritNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    1,921
    Daz, I was shocked when I read this. Best wishes and hope you get sorted out quickly.

  5. #25
    Master ba-ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,413
    Rob Baker (top fell runner from Dark Peak) had Fibrillations, starting after he'd come second at the Dragon's back in 2012 (not sure if there was a link between the two!) He had an ablation a few years back. He now lives in Australia and, whilst racing and training again isn't back to where he was before (2:26 marathon...) but still better than most!
    Nic Barber, Pennine. Downhill Dandy

  6. #26
    Senior Member Charmian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    which sort of ablation did he have?
    my insurance lady blanched at the cost of the "cryo" that my consultant seems keen on...
    Steve had the classic ablation with electrodes via a vein in his groin rather than the cryogenic technique. We asked his consultant about cryo but he didn't have experience of that. He was always very positive and reassuring and Steve had no hesitation in deciding to go ahead with the op. He was advised not to run for six weeks afterwards and so he wore his boots the weekend after his op when we reccy'd the Oldham Way Ultra so he wouldn't be tempted to run! Good luck
    Charmian Heaton
    Retford AC

  7. #27
    Grandmaster IanDarkpeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    near the dark stuff
    Posts
    12,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulinclimber View Post
    He was advised not to run for six weeks afterwards ...
    This isn't to let your heart recovery more to do with allowing all the scar tissue to heal properly.
    I was told the heart was ok, they put me on aspirin for 8 weeks told no exercise for 4 then only light exercise for the next 4. they didn't want any blood clots or scabs breaking away.

  8. #28
    Master DazTheSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Manchester
    Posts
    3,831
    Thanks Guys

    seeing consultant again in 2 weeks (12th Feb)...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun to run

  9. #29
    Master that_fjell_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    High Bentham
    Posts
    2,022
    Blimey Daz!! Good luck with all this! Will you be up for the Bullock Smithy!!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

  10. #30
    Master DazTheSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Manchester
    Posts
    3,831
    Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Blimey Daz!! Good luck with all this! Will you be up for the Bullock Smithy!!?
    no pressure then!?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun to run

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •