Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings!

Greetings!

Hello everyone,

I am a true beginner in the world of fell running, but I am itching to give it a bit of a go. My head is spinning with body cover and compass reading at the moment!

I am a mediocre runner if the truth be told, I do run for a club in the Greater Manchester area and compete at road mainly and the annual XC league with the odd bit of trail thrown in. I have done one fell race up to this point, the Wincle Trout Run which I loved (and the Millbrook Monster which is multi-terrain but tough going!).

I am not much of a distance runner so I tend to limit myself to races no greater than about 6 miles at the moment due to fitness. Also another slight issue is that I hate running in lots of layers – something I expect I am going to have to get used to! Also I have never learned to use a compass and a proper map so I am severely lacking in preparation at the moment. My first attempt this year will be the Hayfield May Queen which I hope shouldn’t present too many problems!

I am targeting races I can realistically have a go at while I am a novice, mostly BS category races like Wincle, Lantern Pike, Eddie’s Revenge, Bull Hill etc etc. From the very small amount of info I’ve been given prior to joining here, I have been led to believe that they are fairly runnable, courses are marked out and due to the time of year and distance, I probably won’t have to carry anything with me. If any of this sounds wrong please let me know.

Once I have gotten a bit more used to getting out and having a go in the summer months, hopefully by then I will have some proper bodycover, and ability to read a map and use a compass. The aim is to be at least someway competent for next year so I can attempt some slightly longer races. I am a big wimp so I don’t want to try anything too challenging just yet!

I am sure that this is a familiar scenario but I would welcome any advice or suggestions. Thanks everybody!

James

Re: Greetings!

Rasher, there is information about navigation in other threads such as 'beginners'.
    You don't have to wear lots of layers when you race, you just have to carry the mandatory gear for your own safety.

Thanks for the help - I expect I am going to have to go on a course sooner or later but hopefully for the shorter races I have planned to tackle I will probably be able to follow the flags / other runners

Wincle is my only frame of reference and it was marshalled better than some road races I've done - I am sure they are not all like that though.

Thanks for the input though- i have looked at the OS maps for Lantern Pike which is where the May Queen is based and I don't have a clue what I am looking at, but I am praying I won't be at the back and being left behind - as I said, I'm not running anything trickier than a BS (Think one of them is AS)!

You have probably come across this but you will get info on many of the local races here. Many of these will be perfectly suitable for you.
    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~temples/hc/

Hiya.. I went on the FRA Navigation course to help with my navigation. I was ok with general map stuff but needed to get my compass skills up to scratch. I haven't done any super crazy races but I did need my skills at the Wadsworth Half Trog and it worked! Recommend the courses, Sept and March, boosts your confidence. Have fun out there......

Hi Rasher,
    It may be a little bit if a drive for you but the Mow Cop (07/04/13) race is a winner.

http://www.mowcoprunners.com/Clubraces

About 6.5 miles with lots of running

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Thanks for the help - I expect I am going to have to go on a course sooner or later but hopefully for the shorter races I have planned to tackle I will probably be able to follow the flags / other runners

Wincle is my only frame of reference and it was marshalled better than some road races I've done - I am sure they are not all like that though.

Thanks for the input though- i have looked at the OS maps for Lantern Pike which is where the May Queen is based and I don't have a clue what I am looking at, but I am praying I won't be at the back and being left behind - as I said, I'm not running anything trickier than a BS (Think one of them is AS)!
    Afternoon Rasher!

Seeing as you're just over t'hill, thought you might be interested in one of our races which is coming up in a couple of weeks.
    It's the Ian Roberts race on Sunday 10th March, starting at Marsden CC. It's just over 10k & is a category BM race, which is well-marked, marshalled & there's even a sweeper, so no chance of getting lost!

Here's the link to the race page - would be good to have you along! Give me a shout if you make it (I'm the organiser!)

http://www.holmfirthharriers.com/clu...l-race-bm-2012

Cheers,
    Phil Hobbs, Holmfirth Harriers
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Thank you everybody who's replied so far!

Dr Patrick, thanks for the link - that is a very comprehensive list with some very tempting races indeed!

Fairyfeet - cheers for the course info - I don't understand what I see on an OS map and have never used a compass in my life so I must get this organised ASAP.

Truck - That looks a good race, if a little far away! I will definitely have a think about it -thanks.

Hobbsy - That race is very local to me and looks great - typically I am short of fitness and lacking in any of the basic mandatory kit at the moment. It's a real shame but I will make a note of this one for next year! Cheers.

Hey up Rasher, I will meet up and show you an easy round near you. Don't worry about kit, I can lend you some. I can also help with your nav skills.

Really?? That would be fantastic!

I have little in the way of equipment except my Walshs which I use for bad XC and Adidas Kanadias for drier days.

Thanks very much indeed!