Thread: Route ideas - Peebles

Route ideas - Peebles

Hi Folks
    I'll be staying in Peebles for a couple of nights in a few weeks, and thought it would be rude not to try and squeeze in a run while I'm up there.
    Just wondered if anyone could suggest a good route? I can probably only spare a couple of hours / 13 miles or so, but I've already noticed interesting looking contours to the W and S
    I may not have use of the car, so ideally need to start from the town centre where I'm staying - though if there's anything particularly unmissable within a few miles, I might be able to sort something.
    Ta for any ideas.
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

The horseshoe around Glensax makes for a nice run and you can start straight from Peebles. I would recommend the clockwise direction. Park at the end of Glen Road. Follow the continuation of the road, onto a path, over a burn and out onto the hillside. Then fairly straightforward path to follow up to Birkscairn. From there the path is slightly more indistinct up to Dun Rig. From there cut across to the col below Middle Hill, over this to Broom Hill. Here you have two options a) turn left, over Stobo Law down the Canada Hill ridge and back to Peebles over Cadmuir Hill b) (in my opinion aesthetically more pleasing) turn right to Huddleshope and down over the Preston Hope ridge. You come down by a farm, cross the field opposite the farm and you will find a track (couple of meters up the hill) turn left along this, till it runs out, climb over a gate, steeply up a slope, across the field and through a wooden gate, little trod through the woods, diagonally across the field you end up in to a gate, go to the NE corner of the field beyond this gate and you will be back at the path which took you onto the hill.
    This can obviously be made shorter by dropping back into the Glen and coming back along the track running along it (or cutting up the hill on the other side, along the Two Breweries route (see http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/...-0103-main.jpg)) whenever you feel like it. A much shorter alternative is the Gypsy Glen Route (http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/...-0116-main.jpg) which shares the start.

There is also good running on the Moorefoots (north of Peebles) although the southern side of these is mainly in forest, but you could drive up the A703 and stop by Portmore Resevoir from which you can do good runs which will be rougher then the above circuit. If you want any routes for this area let me know, it's were we live so I have one or two...

Finally the three Meldons make for a nice shortish run (see http://www.carnethy.com/photos/hcap2...dons_route.jpg) the Carnethy handicap starts between them, but I'm sure you could run up from Peebles for a longer version.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by richsund View Post
    Hi Folks
    I'll be staying in Peebles for a couple of nights in a few weeks, and thought it would be rude not to try and squeeze in a run while I'm up there.
    Just wondered if anyone could suggest a good route? I can probably only spare a couple of hours / 13 miles or so, but I've already noticed interesting looking contours to the W and S
    I may not have use of the car, so ideally need to start from the town centre where I'm staying - though if there's anything particularly unmissable within a few miles, I might be able to sort something.
    Ta for any ideas.
    Keep us posted on this, I've a friend down there. And i've been considering a running trip out for a while now.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by kcr View Post
    Hope that helps.
    kcr - many thanks for taking the time to reply, that's just the sort of answer I was hoping for. Googling is all well and good but sometimes you can't beat a bit of local knowledge!
    Like the look of the Glensax route - it's handy having the options to lengthen or shorten it according to time/inclination/weather (fingers crossed!)
    Cheers again
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Keep us posted on this, I've a friend down there. And i've been considering a running trip out for a while now.
    Hi Shaun, I'm up there for a wedding so I'm hoping I'll be able to sneak a couple of hours out of the proceedings... might be difficult to pin down when though! Perhaps kcr has inspired you to take a trip...