Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NS needed

Question NS needed

I've been scanning the race schedule to find races that are both nearby and at my level of (in)experience. I keep noting races that sound great but have the Navigational Skills needed by them along with Partially Marked course.

Just exactly how much navigation is needed if a course is partially marked? And would it be wise to call the RO beforehand just to check on a per race basis?

John

the longer the race the more important NS is as the field would get very spread out by the later stages. Unless you are very fast or very slow it would not be quite as much of a problem on the shorter races. The mid packers would generally have somebody in sight unless it is very misty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragilex View Post
    I've been scanning the race schedule to find races that are both nearby and at my level of (in)experience. I keep noting races that sound great but have the Navigational Skills needed by them along with Partially Marked course.

Just exactly how much navigation is needed if a course is partially marked? And would it be wise to call the RO beforehand just to check on a per race basis?

John
    Unfortunately these abbreviations are so widely misused they are useless... I've seen LK NS for races which are partially marked trail races. I think its seen as an option for RO's to protect themselves in case someone gets lost...

PM is also a huge range from fully flagged routes like the Y3P's to others which are sporadically taped often just through sensitive areas.

I'd drop the RO an email or ask on here.

Glad I asked, that makes a whole load of races I'd ruled out back in the frame.
    Thanks

Dragilex - one you won't find in the calendar is:
    FAMOUS GROUSE (5m/1250') - Sunday, 24th Nov 2013 - 11:00am PROFILE
    from the Grouse Inn (GR SK 023 868) in Birch Vale (between New Mills and Hayfield)

it was my first ever fell race a few years ago, and is perfect as such, with marshals at key turning points
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

And of course there's the half trog coming up on Sunday.
    I think this was probably my first 'NS' race, and I had similar doubts about how much nav I'd actually have to do.
    For this particular race (and I imagine others) I reckon it's very weather dependant. Last year it was a clear day, so it basically ended up being follow-my-leader. In this case it's not too difficult, but always best to have a good idea where you are meant to be going (study the map and try to visualise the route beforehand?) in case the people in front of you make a cock-up.
    On the other hand, if the clag is down, and you find yourself some distance from other runners, you'll need to be handier with a compass, as there's potentially the need to blindly follow a bearing across pathless, featureless, boggy moorland
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    . I think its seen as an option for RO's to protect themselves in case someone gets lost...

PM is also a huge range from fully flagged routes like the Y3P's to others which are sporadically taped often just through sensitive areas.

I'd drop the RO an email or ask on here.
    Agree with that whole heartedly. A few I have noted are ER presumably to deter new runners rather than because they are particularly demanding. I can also think of one which is ER, LK, PM, & NS where the only benefit of local knowledge is for car parking, it is almost entirely flagged and there is practically no route choice!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Dragilex View Post

John
    There is the Gravy Pud first week Dec - good first race ~ 5 miles and not too far from Stockport

Just seen you are based in Stockport (I am Marple) you should come out with Pennine on Thursday evenings (7pm hayfield) that will give you great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Just seen you are based in Stockport (I am Marple) you should come out with Pennine on Thursday evenings (7pm hayfield) that will give you great experience.
    ..or get your self on a Navigation course. A skill that will stand you in good stead for years to come?

I've a couple running soon. Not too far from you

Next one is on Saturday.

http://everythingoutdoors.co.uk/navi...ining-courses/

Ian