Thread: Hip injury

Hip injury

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone on here had experienced anything similar to this? I've developed a pain in my left hip whenever I move it forwards. It's particularly prominent walking (and running) uphill when I'm lifting my leg higher. It seems to come on when I do exercise (such as walk or run) but then disappear pretty fast afterwards. It's quite a sharp pain and not dull or achey.

Cheers,
    Sam

Re: Hip injury

Did I read somewhere else you had an ankle injury before this?

A couple of years ago I tore my calf muscle, thought it had heeled and tried to run again. When I did I got a lot of pain in my foot. When I eventually went to see a sports physio it turned out I'd unwittingly altered my stride to protect my damaged calf, this had caused a problem in my back which was in turn causing the pain in my foot because I wasn't running or walking normally. After about 15 minutes of agonising punishment on my lower back to loosen things up it was all sorted.

Moral of the story: your ankle might have buggered your hip. Go see a physio.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Did I read somewhere else you had an ankle injury before this?

A couple of years ago I tore my calf muscle, thought it had heeled and tried to run again. When I did I got a lot of pain in my foot. When I eventually went to see a sports physio it turned out I'd unwittingly altered my stride to protect my damaged calf, this had caused a problem in my back which was in turn causing the pain in my foot because I wasn't running or walking normally. After about 15 minutes of agonising punishment on my lower back to loosen things up it was all sorted.

Moral of the story: your ankle might have buggered your hip. Go see a physio.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon.
    Yeah I did have an ankle injury - I just put it down to bad luck having two injuries one after the other! Thanks for the advice, I think I will go and see a physio.

Read my thread on "hipflexor tightness" I got some great responses as the issue on uphill seems to be the same.
    Knowledge is power, community is strength and positive attitude is everything!

So, I went to see a doctor, who told me to wait a month before being referred to a physio, who told me to wait another month before being referred to another physio, and then I had to wait a bit more on the waiting list.. and eventually, I got to see a physio! Pretty much just in time for the problem to have sorted itself out...

Seeing the physio has been very useful though, and he pinned it down to being an inflammable tendon (I can't remember the tendon name) that runs along the inside of my groin. The reason for this inflammation was because my calves and quads were extremely tight, causing my pelvis to sit at a funny angle. The extra tightness in my muscles could well have been caused by the initial ankle injury.

So, almost a year after initially getting injured, I'm just starting to run again! I managed 3 miles the other day and (touch wood), nothing hurt! Hopefully I'll manage to start on the fells again soon and, fingers crossed, get some races in this summer.