Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
Absolutely rocksteady. Phil and Lisa were not far behind me all the way until the last visit to the summit. 4 of us all then charged down the last descent together . Phil took exactly the line I plotted into the quarries but then I was glad to follow him as we climbed up past the walls. I faded then but Lisa obviously gained strength and took Phil somewhere near the finish. It,s a personal thing. We all gain by following others in one way or another. Speaking for myself, if I know I have benefitted from following another I would not sprint past them in the run-in unless someone else was likely to run past us both....then I would defend my position.
Yeah sort of agree. but Phil and Lisa aren't in competition anyway in their respective categories.. and I doubt either were taking it overly serious..

Outside of the top 3, or prizes, I don't care really... I have been asked (in your neck of the woods) to wait with a fellow runner and navigated for them through the clag.. even stood waiting while they went for a piss.. and they then tried to outsprint me at the end.. which would have given them 3rd.. that was a tad cheeky.. he was English..

In Jura Chris Near and I ran together and he did more of the navigating, we both did some, but tbf he did more, especially early on, and we hit the road together but his legs died and I went off, another runner, who openly just followed us all the way, came with me and he was quite clear he wouldn't try to beat me at the end... Had Chris stuck with us I'd have let him cross first..

In things like the Brits though I think following is just a gamble you take.. it pays off.. sometimes it doesn't.. but there's enough advantage to local runners without giving back any places... in that case all fair in love and war and all that..