Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Daz H race - entries open

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hills View Post
    That was a really good day out, it is one heck of a race, thanks everyone involved in organising it, marshalling it and supplying that superb soup & all those cakes. Add to that a sense of personal achievement, a very sociable evening & the toasting of a much missed absent friend and it does not get much better.
    Like!!

Well done Paul.

I had a fabulous day marshalling at Newlands and generally just hanging around. From my perspective....

1. I was in awe of all the runners who pitted themselves against this course. It is a truly testing course of fitness, mental toughness and fell-hardiness.

2. Talking to Amanda and her family and the fond memories they have of Darren always brings a tear to my eye. Even though I never personally knew him I knew of him and got a sense that he would be battling hard around this route. Amanda was telling me he is a holder of the Bentham Mug. How fitting that this route is now a part of the LCT.

3. I bumped into an Ilkeston gang outside Croft Farm Café. They were doing the short course in memory of Darren. They were in good spirits and laughing and joking their way round. A beautiful side to the fell-running world.

See you all next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hello to (I think) Mark Clayton who passed me in the opposite direction at Honister, presumably on the 10 Peaks? Sorry about the startled reaction, I was pretty delirious by that point...!!

Pete
    Hi Pete, yes that was me. I spotted you at the last moment just as I was running past you to a much needed pit stop at the Honister YHA as part of the 10 Peaks race.

Well done indeed for toughing it out. The route looks epic and the profile stats a bit scary. I’d love to have a go (one day)……. but couldn’t even manage the cut-offs at Ennerdale 2 weeks ago (bailed at Blackbeck Tarn…. long way back to race HQ!)….. but was fine at V3K (Welsh 3000s) a week later. 10Ps was a bit of a struggle…… even having changed to the shorter course.

Was hoping to see/pass Joss doing his challenge somewhere near Honister or Dalehead Tarn…… but missed him. Anyway, got to see him at Ennerdale as he was manning the first checkpoint on top of Great Borne and had a nice chat with him later on.
    Totley AC

Hi Mark, well done on the 10 Peaks.

Joss was indeed in the Honister car park as we crossed paths Mark. My dad tried to point him out to me, which would have been a massive highlight, but I was in a pretty sorry state by that point and was just concentrating on getting moving up onto Haystacks, so didn't actually see him...

Usually on a long race there is a point where you can look back where you have ran and take it all in, usually with varying levels of disbelief. But on this race it just didn't register, maybe the sheer scale of it, or the mental fatigue of such a tough race, but it wasn't until Sunday that I could start to take it in.

Explaining my "navigational error" on Haystacks to the landlady at the b&b on Sunday, her response was "weren't there any signposts to follow?...."

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hi Mark, well done on the 10 Peaks.

Joss was indeed in the Honister car park as we crossed paths Mark. My dad tried to point him out to me, which would have been a massive highlight, but I was in a pretty sorry state by that point and was just concentrating on getting moving up onto Haystacks, so didn't actually see him...

Usually on a long race there is a point where you can look back where you have ran and take it all in, usually with varying levels of disbelief. But on this race it just didn't register, maybe the sheer scale of it, or the mental fatigue of such a tough race, but it wasn't until Sunday that I could start to take it in.

Explaining my "navigational error" on Haystacks to the landlady at the b&b on Sunday, her response was "weren't there any signposts to follow?...."
    LOL that I must have almost run right passed Joss in the car park and not seen him. The whole place was rather busy/hectic, with loads of people about…. and I too was feeling quite jaded by that point.

Yeah, there’s an annoying lack of signage up there . I tried some new (non-recced) lines at Ennerdale, which didn’t work out either….. going directly over Hay Stacks for example. Anyway, the view was nice.
    Totley AC