Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiendsdale 2013

Re: Fiendsdale

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Thanks J - and he's me thinking i was doing a flat one
    It used to be a killer, Id put it on par with winter hill. With a much, much steeper climb about 10minutes from the end.

I clung to that fence

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    It used to be a killer, Id put it on par with winter hill. With a much, much steeper climb about 10minutes from the end.

I clung to that fence
    Oh crap

oh well - not going to better sitting on my ar5e all day - in for a penny and all that!!

Yeah the old race was a toughy, I dont know the route for the new race.

david

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I haven't got a map of that area to locate fell foot i.e. plot that grid ref.
    Well you'd better get one before the race . Fell Foot is just north west of Chipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys been browsing for a while but not got round to registering or posting.
    The map of the new course can be found on the Bowland website
    http://www.bowlandfellrunners.org.uk/.

The old route used to carry on north to a checkpoint at Langdon Castle if memory serves before turning up a nice runnable path over to Holme House Fell. I'd be interested to know why the race has been shortened.
    That final checkpoint between Fair Snape and Parlick is the work of sadistic genius!
    I'd urge anyone who hasn't visited Bowland or done this race to have a go if they can. It's a surprisingly good part of the world and often overlooked as people follow the crowds to Lakeland.

I heard that there was something about wear on some of the tracks after the english champs held on the course and the organisers were asked to change the route to prevent further damage.

Just been over the course today for a recce. Dry but very windy which meant the 'run' from CP3 & 4 to CP5 (Fiendsdale Head) was very slow indeed. The route from CP8 to CP9 (just before the last climb) is not easy if you don't like loose rocks in the grass. Best bet is to head straight down to the wall corner then bee line to CP9. Then there's the shortish but steep climb to the top before a superb grassy descent to the finish. It's a tough 7 miles.
    See the light in the night

I'm in!!

My last minute entry neatly (?) scrawled out by hand has been accepted

http://www.bowlandfellrunners.org.uk..._list_2007.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Just been over the course today for a recce. Dry but very windy which meant the 'run' from CP3 & 4 to CP5 (Fiendsdale Head) was very slow indeed. The route from CP8 to CP9 (just before the last climb) is not easy if you don't like loose rocks in the grass. Best bet is to head straight down to the wall corner then bee line to CP9. Then there's the shortish but steep climb to the top before a superb grassy descent to the finish. It's a tough 7 miles.
    will i need to know the area or as I'll be a back runner is the course going to let me see people in the distance

Had a look at the new route on the pdf but doesn't mean a great deal as not done it before although I 'do' now know how to read the map at least