Page 104 of 117 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

I'm thinking of going over the top of esk pike...

Started in the last couple of races to start 'running my own race' rather than following the crowd... Hopefully I won't end up in Eskdale!!

Just heading up on the train now, starting to get the old pre-race nerves!

Great race as always. Thanks to all involved in putting it on. Roger Bell's 20th and last apparently.

Perfect weather for it, visibility-wise at least. Bit boggy underfoot.

Highlight for me - getting to Long Top, descending a bit waiting for the Bad Step, then looking round and seeing the Bad Step behind me. No idea how that happened, but not complaining!

Master
    Went over the top of Esk Pike - a chap who normally beats me was a bit behind at Esk Hause shelter - and was still just a bit behind when I got to Ore Gap. It took me 17 minutes, for what it is worth, and it is so much nicer than the normal route. And around to the right to avoid the bad step - head west/towards Slight Side in a shallow depression from the check point - looking back below the Bad Step there was a bit of a queue.
    A great day for it - Roger got the weather right again. Thanks to him and to all his patient marshals.

Put some pictures on the FRA facebook page if you want to look.

3hrs 29mins for me... Got a bit boxed in at the start which possibly cost me a bit of time, but having said that, my enforced slow start allowed me the energy to really push over and down pike of blisco, and I mud have made up about 10 places from red tarn to the finish, so all worked out even...

I also went over the top of esk pike, much to the concern of some walkers who told me I had gone wrong... I got to ore gap in exactly the same position as I left esk hause, and I was really taking it easy on that stage, so if I pushed I think it would be slightly quicker... Went left of the bad step, as it was quite busy, fairly steep but no problem in weather like today...

Was a great race and a lovely route, maybe I didn't push hard enough, maybe it was the favourable weather, but it didn't hurt as much as Black Mountains, or Stretton Skyline...

What a cracking race! Beautiful day for it, though I spent an inordinate amount of time looking towards the ground rather than admiring the views. Managed to just scrape under 3 hours which I'm happy enough with at the tail end of a cold & (more pertinently) being lousy at much over 8 miles due to lack of training on that front. Having felt the wheels come off on the traverse, I'd be very tempted to go over the top next time.

Mike T and Travs,
    I'm interested by what you write about going over Esk Pike. Would you do so again in future years?
    Regards

Jim Paxman
    Dark Peak

Perfect day for a classic race. I went under esk pike as well and it wasn't too bad. I did however start to cramp up climbing Bowfell which just got worse and worse. Thanks to all the runners who offered sweets, gels and water as i was dragging my sorry legs up Blisco. In the end i was given a gel by a hiker who said that i looked like i needed it more than him! I was on for about 3:20 but ended up finishing just under 4 hours. I'll be back next year to wreak my revenge though.

Master
    I have gone over Esk Pike twice now and will always go that way given the choice. You do not need to go to the very top, there is a faint cairned trod - partly on grass - to the right of the top - it separates from the usual tourist path above the horizontal rock strips and then joins it again on the way down.

'patently the door went over again and lost out.
    appears that, at the front at least, the trod is quicker.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy