Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of sat navs in Ultras??

Use of sat navs in Ultras??

Am really short of time to do any recce's. Thinking of using a hand held sat nav to help navigate-is this frowned upon or accepted these days?

Master

Re: Use of sat navs in Ultras?

Some events allow the use of gps but TBH I hope you will be taking a map and compass with you and that you know how to use them.

Because unless you are a very fast runner a `Sat Nav`s `battery will die before you complete the distance (GPS battery lfe is better).

TBH in my view there is no need to recce on the ground just study the map hard and memorise the info from the map, jot down some salient bearigs etc for use on the day keep the map and compass handy and you are set for a good day.

Have Fun
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master

BGR supporting, February, heading for Great Calva, 11pm, pitch black, and the sort of wet mist that reflects the torch light back at you; visibility about 3 metres, and then only the reflective details on kit, a bit longer if their head torch is facing towards you; GPS is virtually obligatory under these circumstances - but be aware of the battery life, and have a map/compass as backup.

What's the world coming to, whatever happened to mountaincraft ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    What's the world coming to, whatever happened to mountaincraft ?
    No idea whether that was serious, but as a GOM I share the sentiment. The best events are the ones where you need to sort the route out for yourself, with no technology other than a map & knowing which way up to hold it. It's a lot more fun than just going where your computer tells you to go. But... if others are blindly following their techopointers, they will get there first. I hate it myself.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    BGR supporting, February, heading for Great Calva, 11pm, pitch black, and the sort of wet mist that reflects the torch light back at you; visibility about 3 metres, and then only the reflective details on kit, a bit longer if their head torch is facing towards you; GPS is virtually obligatory under these circumstances - but be aware of the battery life, and have a map/compass as backup.
    "VIRTUALLY OBLIGATORY..." aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhh hhhhhhhh!

Isn't navigating part of the challenge?

I don't think the absence of GPS stopped the Bob Grahams, Alan Heatons or Jos Naylors of this world from enjoying and achieving.

As for leg 1 of the BG, probably the worst that can happen as a result of not having a GPS is that you lose a few minutes and get wet(ter) and muddy coming down the wrong side of Hare Crag.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Master

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    "VIRTUALLY OBLIGATORY..." aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhh hhhhhhhh!

Isn't navigating part of the challenge?

I don't think the absence of GPS stopped the Bob Grahams, Alan Heatons or Jos Naylors of this world from enjoying and achieving.

As for leg 1 of the BG, probably the worst that can happen as a result of not having a GPS is that you lose a few minutes and get wet(ter) and muddy coming down the wrong side of Hare Crag.
    Anticlockwise round. I too used to think GPS was cheating. To take bearings with a compass - we would have had to do it 100s of times .....

Isn! T a compas a form of technology?
    UOTE=Splatcher;542387]No idea whether that was serious, but as a GOM I share the sentiment. The best events are the ones where you need to sort the route out for yourself, with no technology other than a map & knowing which way up to hold it. It's a lot more fun than just going where your computer tells you to go. But... if others are blindly following their techopointers, they will get there first. I hate it myself.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Isn! T a compas a form of technology?
    Of course it is. But to use it you still need to look at the land around you to work out where you are. The GPS is starting to take that away. I don't want to do that myself. I don't mind other people using them, but it's a pity it's becoming harder to compete in races without using them. I'm no purist: I had pacers on my BG last year using GPS & I relied on them without complaining.

But...this is going to go further. How long before the best line across any hillside is available to you online as you're running, fed to you Google Glasses or whatever. A satnav for walkers & runners you can set for "fastest route", "least calories route", "least climbing route"? Do you want that sort of help on all the Lakes classics?
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Anticlockwise round. I too used to think GPS was cheating. To take bearings with a compass - we would have had to do it 100s of times .....

I'm not objecting to the use of GPS, tho I think that to an extent it devalues the challenge, it's the VIRTUALLY OBLIGATORY bit I don't get. I too have benefited from a pacer using GPS which was helpful when really pushed for time, but otherwise I like the satisfaction of finding my way without it (and sometimes the frustration of not! - thinks Moelwyns on my mate Dave's PBR attempt in September 11!!) .

Blencathra to Calva: I probably have an advantage as I live half a dozen miles away as opposed to being in Suffolk (sorry Mike!) so I know the area pretty well, but I'd say it's a case of descending over Foule Crag to be sure of where to turn off onto the Common, then run on a bearing for a set length of time, then change bearing and run down to the river. Once you get across the river you can find the circular sheepfold easily enough and then the route to the top is easy. Two compass bearings to Calva.

Anyway, the view to Blencathra is stunning this morning, not a cloud in the sky, and anyone out today shouldn't need a GPS to find their way! So I find myself asking why am I heading to Preston for youth circuit bike racing???
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain