Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1894 stone - Bleaklow

1894 stone - Bleaklow

Not sure this is the right place but...
    I accompanied some walking group friends on a trek out on the Featherbed moss part of Bleaklow. Its a new area to me as I usually head south peak but very interesting. We came across a large solitary mushroom type standing stone. A few of our party knew it as the 1894 stone but not why. Does anyone know the origins of the name? The main theories we came up with were something to do with the rail tunnels built around then, or something to do with the county boundary. Google hasn't thrown up any answers so I am opening it up to the collective wisdom of the forum!

Re: 1894 stone - Bleaklow

do you have a grid ref for the stone? there's a few Featherbed Moss' in the area. immediate thoughts are that 1894 is the height of the stone, sometimes locations are referred to by their height in feet, rather than metres.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    I accompanied some walking group friends on a trek out on the Featherbed moss part of Bleaklow. Its a new area to me as I usually head south peak but very interesting. We came across a large solitary mushroom type standing stone. A few of our party knew it as the 1894 stone but not why. Does anyone know the origins of the name? The main theories we came up with were something to do with the rail tunnels built around then, or something to do with the county boundary. Google hasn't thrown up any answers so I am opening it up to the collective wisdom of the forum!
    You see you just need to come to the local...

I'll dig out a picture. But go to my front page of my website and scroll through pictures and it will pop up. I use it occasionally on Navigation courses.
    The 1894 stone is well known to Dark peakers as it's used as a checkpoint in races and it on the Bradfield Boundary run. It is also traditional to get the whole group on the top.

I also did a search on here, it's mentioned quite alot mainly on my training runs. But it is also a check point on the Awesome Derwent Devil... the record stands at 7.50. might have another look this year.

Theres a few theories but the one i favaour is they used to shoot in those days and it was apoint they would have stopped at. If you look in the scoop on the path side you will see the initials IWB. these are found all over the moors. I believe there are 14 stones with these initials on. you are also only 150m from a tea plant!!?
    Another and much harder stone to find is the Skarrett Stone this has the date of 1897 on and it's history is well known as one of two brothers who used to shoot on the moors was scared of the fog so used to stop on his way up to Howden edge (2 miles from the 1894 stone) for a snifter of whiskey(the first dark peak wart?).

I'm sure they must be linked some how.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 24-04-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added a bit

Actually I will be leading a guided "wild run" up the upper Don where we will visit the stone plus a few wrecks, other strange stones, tea plants, aircraft wrecks, springs, lost ponds, shoot ranges etc

Any one who has done the HPM will know it well as it marks the approach to Swains head.

Heres one picture from a Navigation course.Attachment 6922

and another with Green flash....Attachment 6923

.....a few wrecks, other strange stones, tea plants, aircraft wrecks, springs, lost ponds, shoot ranges etc...
    Sounds like an intriguing place I will have to head north more often. I'm afraid I can't pinpoint the grid reference - my mind was blown by a sea of bogs and groughs by that stage of the walk. I found it unusual that such as talismanic rock wasn't marked on the map when other less impressive boulders are flagged up. Good to find out that its been 'adopted' by fell runners as a checkpoint! Ian - I can see why you run nav courses up there. I can't imagine a terrain which has the potential to go off course so easily, felt properly wild, even on a nice day with a good group. Without a grid reference I can't pinpoint the height, but it is a plausible theory for hte name, will try to estimate and see if it comes close.

.....a few wrecks, other strange stones, tea plants, aircraft wrecks, springs, lost ponds, shoot ranges etc...
    Sounds like an intriguing place I will have to head north more often. I'm afraid I can't pinpoint the grid reference - my mind was blown by a sea of bogs and groughs by that stage of the walk. I found it unusual that such as talismanic rock wasn't marked on the map when other less impressive boulders are flagged up. Good to find out that its been 'adopted' by fell runners as a checkpoint! Ian - I can see why you run nav courses up there. I can't imagine a terrain which has the potential to go off course so easily, felt properly wild, even on a nice day with a good group. Without a grid reference I can't pinpoint the height, but it is a plausible theory for hte name, will try to estimate and see if it comes close.
    Doh! should have read your post a little more clearly. it's called the 1894 stone because if you look on top on the northern side it has carved in to it....1894! I thought you were asking why it had the number carved on it!

Grid ref is SK 1383 9855 and it is marked on the OS OL 1 map around the 500m contour.

I was up there again over the weekend with another Navigation course. However the rain was being whipped off the top so we didn't climb it and moved swiftly on. I''ve done a bit of digging for you and found this on IWB
    The initials are of Isaac Watt Boulton,
    Born in 1823 (died 1899)in Stockport I.W.B.became an eminent Industrialist in Ashton under Lyne,building amongst other things locomotives, he was also a J.P. and an Alderman,as well as being a keen " rambler" he was an authority on The Peak District, and campaigner for public access to ancient paths over Kinder Scout.
    on 20/5/1893 The Aston under Lyne Herald published an article from I.W.B.describing a walk done the previous weekend "that may help some of your younger readers who believe in walking as a healthy exercise & are anxiously looking forward to the Whitsuntide weekend for the purpose of going on a long tramp over mountains and moorland."
    I.W.B.travelled by train to Woodhead arriving at 0800 and breakfasted on "oatcakes off the flake,fresh butter and a glass of beer" whilst chatting with " the genial landlady" of The Millers Arms at Saltersbrook - now long gone.Opposite the ruins against the wall can be seen an inscribed stone -I.W.B. -Gordon Danks, Area Ranger remembers replacing it there a few years ago.

when we reach Lady Cross there are various initials carved on it - I.W.B. as well as a cross,plus N.B. and M.B - having researched I.W.B.on the internet ( Google search) I wonder if M.B could be Matthew Boulton his relative.
    Heading across towards Shepherds Meeting Stones we pass a tapered rock near Dean Head Stones at Grid Ref.SK 1382298553 marked I.W.B. and H.P.B.
    Close to here on the smaller of the stones at Hoar Stones Grid Ref. SK1557298245 can be seen a X and the initials W.P.M.

That's fascinating reading, ian, thanks for posting. My first post was unclear, but I did mean why that date, although we didn't climb up it either! From googling I've found that the marsden tunnel was built in 1894, possibly commemorative? Or maybe just the date of a particularly good walk for IWB and his friends.

I myself am looking forward to Whitsuntide for a good tramp over the mountains! Will raise a (thermos) glass to IWB on the top!