Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Marathon - beginner!

Mountain Marathon - beginner!

Hi all,

Having been a Bob Graham WAG for most of last year, I got a bit inspired and started running. Having previously quite firmly in the 'can't run, won't run' camp, I decided to jump in at the deep end and enter the Saunders. EEP!

My training is going relatively well, I can now run and everything :-) I have entered the Wansfell class with my buddy Lou, who is also a MM newbie. So my questions is, what are your top tips for mountain marathoning? We are both mountain people and our nav is strong, if not particuarly quick. My training is consisting of hill reps, interval training and then a long run at the weekend. If I keep following my training plan I should be able to do two 12 mile days back to back, all be it along the smallish hills of the Cotswolds (which are walked up!)

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Rosilee

Re: Mountain Marathon - beginn

To be honest it sounds like your are doing the right things. The reps will improve your strength going up hill. Down hill just needs time out there to improve your skill/confidence.

Are you running with a pack on your back? That can make a big difference, so it's worth doing just to get used to the different feel. And having had to put a strange tent up in the dark before, I'd get used to doing that, too!
    I've never actually done a Mountain Marathon though, just a few long weekends out. I take my hat off to you, and good luck with it!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Rosielee!

I asked a similar question before last year's Saunders. The thread is here
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Are you running with a pack on your back? That can make a big difference, so it's worth doing just to get used to the different feel. And having had to put a strange tent up in the dark before, I'd get used to doing that, too!
    I've never actually done a Mountain Marathon though, just a few long weekends out. I take my hat off to you, and good luck with it!
    Agreed, running with a pack can take some getting used to so practice. Also practice your nutrition and hydration. I've not done a 2 day event but I'd imagine a proper overnight practice of using all the kit you intend on taking would be of great benefit. Good Luck!

Navigation is more important than speed for an enjoyable w/e. Never feel tempted to follow another team.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    I've not done a 2 day event but I'd imagine a proper overnight practice of using all the kit you intend on taking would be of great benefit. Good Luck!
    If it stops snowing in scotland I'll be off to do a longish wild run with a camp. IF it stops snowing/raining....

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Navigation is more important than speed for an enjoyable w/e. Never feel tempted to follow another team.
    Well said Yianis, I totally agree. It's no good running fast in the wrong direction...

In no particular order:

Long days in hills - not necessarily running

Practice running with full weight in rucksack

Practice nutrition and fluid on the move (something every 20-30mins works for me). Side pockets are useful IMO

Practice navigation (as others have said - don't be tempted to follow others) they like to make it difficult. Plus decide if your strengths play better to long way round but less hilly or direct route which is steeper. Usually options.

Have a luxury for camp. Some take a sip of whiskey or something sweet. Nothing like a moral boost when you're cold and knackered!

Good luck.

Training sounds good
    Get used to your rucsac
    Try out your kit, keep it light
    Brush up on simple navigation
    Enjoy and see you there
    Nee Bother

Work out you're lightest kit set up, thats lightest comfortable kit set up!! Two carrier bags for inside your shoes at the overnight camp!! The nav thing is true, pick your best line rather than follow. It doesnt always work for the best but at least you've ran your race and sometimes its just quieter!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com