Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain Marathon - beginner!

Re: Mountain Marathon - beginn

This will be my first MM too.

Good Luck to the newbies. Say Hi- I will probably be on car park duty Fri early eve and then running over weekend.

My first also!

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    My first also!
    Eep! Hello other newbies, glad we won't be the only new ones!

Thanks for all the tips, I like the idea of picking our prefered line; I know I will go faster on a less direct trail on easier ground than something short but rocky. And I think I need to work on my nutrition also - I don't really enjoy eating when running, so I'm going to have to forcce myself to do that. (It doesn't feel very ladylike haha)

I was putting off the idea of a practise overnight camp due to the abysmal weather but it sounds like a popular tip so I will add it in to the plan.

Thanks once again,

Rosielee

I can't think of anyone who enjoys eating whilst running. I try to eat on long uphills when the pace slows, and consume sweets at every checkpoint.

Comfort at midcamp is less important than a light pack. The lighter the pack, the more fun the day in the hills so you're less grumpy and enjoy it all more.

Hey up Rosielee

As Matthew says eating on the uphill bits is the way to go. Its a good idea to nav and route plan on the Long climbs too.

Don't forget to enjoy yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Rosielee View Post
    And I think I need to work on my nutrition also - I don't really enjoy eating when running, so I'm going to have to forcce myself to do that. (It doesn't feel very ladylike haha)
    Nothing ladylike about MM's, peeing wherever you can find a hidey place and being covered in mud. That's not really why we do it is it.

Most people don't eat proper food but snack. I like things like fig rolls and jelly babies and flap jacks. I can't eat banana's or take energy gels on board. You need to find out what works for you as the wrong thing will possibly give you stomach cramps but if you eat nothing you risk crashing.

A light pack is really important but is a fine line between travelling light and taking enough. I get really really cold when I stop so always take more than some other people for example. Know yourself and do what's right for you not for someone else.

Theres a lot if good advice there rosielee , the Saunders is a great first event it's very friendly and well orginised with a laid back atmosphere I'm sure you will enjoy it. I wouldn't worry about competing on your first it takes a few mms to get used to the setup of these events and to get your kit thinned down and sorted . Most things have been covered above, but keep warm on over night camp and eat enough calories sat night bags for feet and loo roll Defo I take a recovery shake powder for camp there filling and high in calories and such . Day two is where it all changes as a few will drop out or overdone it on day one and be fryed. Pace yourself on sat and save some for Sunday. ! You can always open up sun if youve some left in tank. Good luck too you and Lou and all the other newbies I'm sure it will be an experience :thumbup: