Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Y Gader/Cader Idris

Cheers Iain, my race map covered in sticky back plastic should do the job then.

I know this has been asked before but - fell or road shoes? (Walsh PBs or Adidas Adios?) Don't know how wet it is underfoot at the moment. I'm erring towards fell shoes at the moment.

Fellhound
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    fell or road shoes? (Walsh PBs or Adidas Adios?) Don't know how wet it is underfoot at the moment. I'm erring towards fell shoes at the moment.
    I'm planning on wearing More Mile Cheviot 2s. There seems to be quite a lot of hard surface (road, slabs, stony path) so a bit of cushioning will be welcome but grip also probably needed as well so they should be ideal.

From what I know of it, it's definitely not a race for Walsh PBs or Inov8 Baregrips!

(these days I'm so slow I could probably bimble up and down in me slippers anyway...)

It was very dry up there a week ago and last weekend's rain should have dried off nicely for Saturday ~ a pity I'm skipping it this year The bit round the lake can be muddy too.

Road shoes are certainly possible on Cader, but will slow you down in a number of places in the race, especially if you know the off-path grassy lines. Also a lot of the stony path sections are trickier than Snowdon.

I would favour some well worn X-Talons or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    It was very dry up there a week ago and last weekend's rain should have dried off nicely for Saturday ~ a pity I'm skipping it this year The bit round the lake can be muddy too.

Road shoes are certainly possible on Cader, but will slow you down in a number of places in the race, especially if you know the off-path grassy lines. Also a lot of the stony path sections are trickier than Snowdon.

I would favour some well worn X-Talons or similar.
    Yeah I've done it twice and always fell shoes, x-talons were great. The road is a good 3-4 miles in total but the fell is fell like enough that some grip helps, depends how dry though.

Well worn PBs it is then (only fell shoes I've got at the moment anyway). Cheers for the advice.

I'm going for well worn 300's. Don't want to bugger my new 300s on the road but the old ones will give enough to take that descent

Big thanks to Graeme, Andrew & all the marshals for a cracking day! Hope to be back next year, preferably a couple of degrees cooler...

What a fantastic day for Ras y Gader yesterday. Hot and dry and my new Scott RC's were perfect for the job. A great atmosphere in the town pre and post race. Just scraped into the top 25% which was pleasing as it was a WFRA championship race. Probably could have done a bit better if I had not done a recce to just below the summit on Friday night!
    Also managed to buy a cracking Lowe Alpine bum bag for £20 from the local outdoor shop opposite the start.If you find yourself in Dolgellau call in as this shop has some great gear at good prices. Isn't it strange how you can find great bits of kit when you are least expecting it! Also good to support small rural shops without whom you would be rogered if you turned up for a race having forgotten something and the likes of Wiggle would be as much use as a GPS with a flat battery!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 20-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Anybody know when entries open? Web site says early January
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Anybody know when entries open? Web site says early January
    6th Jan at 12:00 noon according to the Faceache page. Hopefully it won't sell out as fast as it did last year when it was a champs race!