Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training Runs - South Peaks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi

I'm just getting into fell running, but live in Nottingham (not well known for it's hills). Can anyone advise of any good training routes around nottingham/south peak district area e.g. Matlock.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

Great advice above and I would add the route of the Wirksworth Undulator. The quarry in Wirksworth from which it starts is really good for hill reps too. Nearer to home though if you park in Gotham, there are some great circuits into the Gotham and East Leak Hills. Don't dismiss it. I have a route which has 800 feet in about 5.5 miles! The hills are also good for reps. The hill opposite Barton overlooking the A453 is really step in the bottom and from bottom to top is a real good effort as hard as most climbs in local Peak District races!Also the hill above the Gotham by-pass (Gypsum Way< is good to0. Its actually not much further to the central Peak than the South Peak and probably worth that extra 20 mins in the car. happy to show you some routes if you PM me.

Chrome Hill and Parkhouse hill in the White Peak. Proper mini mountains.

Hi all, First post on here - I'm 24, based in Derby and just getting into running and wondering if anyone fancy meeting up / sharing lifts (I'm happy to drive) for a few south Peak runs?.. I'm fairly new to running but not particularly unfit as I spend most of my time Rock climbing / mountain biking.

I'm off work until 10th Jan so would be good to make the most of that, but I'm happy to get out in the evenings with a Head torch if need be.

I know Shining Cliff and Crich Chase well from Mountain biking round there. I had a explore round Chrome and Parkhouse hill last weekend which was really good. (and persuaded me to buy new shoes!)

Also have a good 80% offroad loop from my house which is a surprisingly hilly 10k round Allestree woods

Would just be nice to get out with a few people!

Super Moderator
    Milford Chevin and Black Rocks are worth exploring along with
    the Ambergate woods and Crich areas you already know. Have you seen David Denton's website? http://www.runningwithdavid.com

Welcome to the forum btw
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hey up bigdrew. welcome to the forum.
    That's my stomping ground too. I am going for a run in the snow round Allestree Park tomorrow. Manflu can't stop me trying out my new Christmas running shorts.
    As DT mentioned David Denton's site is worth a look. He is organising a race round Shining Cliff/ peat Pitts woods on the 4th of Jan.http://www.runningwithdavid.com/sect...ng_cliffs.html .
    I am just a plodder but please feel free to get in touch.
    All the best
    Steve (sbrt)

Only just seen this or it would have been good to join you. I went out yesterday as well, over Quarndon Common and round Weston Underwood. Don't fancy entering any races just yet, + My feet are feeling pretty hammered up so I'm going to have a few days off.

Tried and failed to send you a pm, doh!
    You can get in touch with me through the forum or here is my fb pagehttps://www.facebook.com/stephen.burt.923
    Cheers
    Steve(sbrt)

Hi Drew, have you considered a club? I'm Allestree based and run with Derwent Runners, who run from Darley Abbey on a Tuesday evening. Mostly road over winter but there are a lot of members many of which run/train/race offroad a lot, myself included. Sounds like you've found some good spots already. The Chevin is also worth a look, run out over Allestree park through Quarndon, down Bunkers hill into Duffield.

Hi Drew

Can’t help with any runs, but as a ex Derby lad born in Little Eaton but now moved North to where the bigger hills are well come to the site. As said a club will be a big help with training. My father lives at Barton just off the A453.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

You might Try Ilkestone Running club, they seem to be growing quite quick. mainly a road club I think but still a few fell runners.