Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with club question

Newbie with club question

Hi all

Firstly i'm new here, been lurking forever but finally registered last week.

Secondly - at 43 I'm thinking of joining a club. When I do races I'm a middle of the pack type of guy but I want to get better. Do I join a club? I am from Sheffield so Dark Peak is the obvious choice. I got loads loads of races either paid for or planned this year and I prefer the long stuff, Is Dark peak the club for me?

Re: Newbie with club question

All I can say is I push myself a lot harder on the club training run than I would on my own. At 43 you might be a bit young to be a fell runner

Quote Originally Posted by CODbackwards View Post
    Hi all

Firstly i'm new here, been lurking forever but finally registered last week.

Secondly - at 43 I'm thinking of joining a club. When I do races I'm a middle of the pack type of guy but I want to get better. Do I join a club? I am from Sheffield so Dark Peak is the obvious choice. I got loads loads of races either paid for or planned this year and I prefer the long stuff, Is Dark peak the club for me?
    Probably Check the calendar and get yourself out on Wednesday night. Think there's a club race on in Burbage valley

Which bit of Sheffield you from

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Probably Check the calendar and get yourself out on Wednesday night. Think there's a club race on in Burbage valley

Which bit of Sheffield you from
    I live in Hillsborough so the Peaks are only 30 min away and your clubhouse is even nearer. I've seen the Burbage club race but I don't think my navigation skills are good enough for the point to point stuff yet. This is another reason I decided a club might make me a better fell runner.

Hey!

At 40 I started running for the first time since school, and at 41, after running a few races, including Lad's Leap, I joined my local - Meltham AC. Best decision I ever made! The twice weekly club runs keep me encouraged and fit, the social aspect is great, I am supported on Fell races I run on my own, and now run races I never even knew about...I am proud to wear the colours and couldn't recommend joining a club enough!
    Shaved my dreads off...now just 'Jeff'...

43 and a bit young to be a fell runner ? i'm 28 so thanks i feel alot more confident now ! country-lass

I live in Hillsborough so the Peaks are only 30 min away and your clubhouse is even nearer. I've seen the Burbage club race but I don't think my navigation skills are good enough for the point to point stuff yet. This is another reason I decided a club might make me a better fell runner.
    There's a few DPer's in Hillsborough. Also a few live up in Deepcar/Stocksbridge which is quite handy for you. We run winter Monday training runs and run a mini summer fell series on a Monday evening. There's also the trunce nearby. Get your self up to langsett as there is plenty of running from there and indeed I'm often running around that area.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    There's a few DPer's in Hillsborough. Also a few live up in Deepcar/Stocksbridge which is quite handy for you. We run winter Monday training runs and run a mini summer fell series on a Monday evening. There's also the trunce nearby. Get your self up to langsett as there is plenty of running from there and indeed I'm often running around that area.
    Considering how near I live to Langsett it's strange I've never run there. I automatically head out to Castleton\Edale for my longer runs. I'm currently upping my mileage because I'm doing the Osmotherly Phoenix in July so I'm going to try and map a route from my house to and round the reservoir and back without using roads. Should be fun.

Considering how near I live to Langsett it's strange I've never run there. I automatically head out to Castleton\Edale for my longer runs. I'm currently upping my mileage because I'm doing the Osmotherly Phoenix in July so I'm going to try and map a route from my house to and round the reservoir and back without using roads. Should be fun.
    I'm a tad busy with DofE and Guiding/nav courses etc for the next 4 weeks but would be happy to show you some excellent running away from the hordes that park at the barn.

lots of great history in the area. check out my sig below and look up the langsett midhope ranges.

cas edale are tourist central. get out in to the wilds...

I'm planning on leading a guided tour in the wilds of the upper don and derwent valleys in a couple of months if you want to join in.

Quote Originally Posted by country-lass View Post
    43 and a bit young to be a fell runner ? i'm 28 so thanks i feel alot more confident now ! country-lass

At 36 (shortly) I'm still in the "youth section" of my club. It's brilliant.
    pies