Thread: Experience required?

Experience required?

I've just noticed that a race I want to enter on Saturday (Hutton Roof, BM) has an ER tag on it. I was wondering what this actually means. Do you have to show experience in a number of races? Is it just up to the race organiser's discretion? Is the rule enforced at all for such a race?

I've only done one fell race before but have plenty of experience in the hills (inc the area of the race) and feel 100% confident for this race, I just don't want to be turned away at the start line because I can't meet some rule that's being enforced.

Re: Experience required?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron247 View Post
    I've just noticed that a race I want to enter on Saturday (Hutton Roof, BM) has an ER tag on it. I was wondering what this actually means. Do you have to show experience in a number of races? Is it just up to the race organiser's discretion? Is the rule enforced at all for such a race?

I've only done one fell race before but have plenty of experience in the hills (inc the area of the race) and feel 100% confident for this race, I just don't want to be turned away at the start line because I can't meet some rule that's being enforced.
    It is very unlikely that you will be asked to provide evidence of experience but it is goes without saying that you must observe the safety rules. Why not call the organiser and ask if the course is marked and marshalled and ok for you to enter?

Ron, you'll be fine doing Hutton. It's a reasonably steady race with nothing too technical. Good running for large sections over the limestone tops. A few roots to avoid in the woods and a fast grass descent towards the end. Save room in your belly for all the beltin cakes at the finish....enjoy.

Good idea, why didn't I think of that? Sent them an email to check.

What's the usual procedure with ER races? Do they ask for a list of previous races? Just ask you to sign off to show you're experienced?

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Ron, you'll be fine doing Hutton. It's a reasonably steady race with nothing too technical. Good running for large sections over the limestone tops. A few roots to avoid in the woods and a fast grass descent towards the end. Save room in your belly for all the beltin cakes at the finish....enjoy.
    Sounds good. I've been running up Farleton several times and always like it up there. Only just discovered Hutton Roof recently but I really like it up there too. It all seems reasonably easy terrain. I was going to do it in my trail shoes, I think fell shoes are a bit of overkill. What would you recommend?

Fwiw I'm 100% comfortable with my ability to do the race, I'm just worried about being refused entry on a technicality.

I tend to always wear mudclaw 300, love em. I would go for the grip of a fell shoe over trail shoe. You'll benefit on the fast descents which I imagine will be pretty sodden.

You're never going to be refused entry unless something is specifically requested. There are some pre-entry races where you are asked to name some of the races you've done recently, but I've never, ever seen this for an entry on the day race.

Sounds good. I've been running up Farleton several times and always like it up there. Only just discovered Hutton Roof recently but I really like it up there too. It all seems reasonably easy terrain. I was going to do it in my trail shoes, I think fell shoes are a bit of overkill. What would you recommend?

Fwiw I'm 100% comfortable with my ability to do the race, I'm just worried about being refused entry on a technicality.

Master

As long as you have plenty of experience in the hills, including at least some trail running, then I think this could even be a first fell race. Having said that you will be walking at least some of it - the section overlooking the M6 is jolly steep, and that section in particular is best done in fell shoes. The cake selection is amazing!

The entry in the Calendar does actually say suitable for "novice" fell runners ...... but also says "ER".

It all seems reasonably easy terrain. I was going to do it in my trail shoes, I think fell shoes are a bit of overkill. What would you recommend?
    Around Hutton Roof Crags there's lots of Grykes and slippy bits, i wouldn't bother risking trail shoes.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent