Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Thread: Three Shires

Looking forward to this year's race. It will be my 30th consecutive 3 Shires ��
    Hoping for a nice day with a bit of clag in the right places.........
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Looking forward to this year's race. It will be my 30th consecutive 3 Shires ��
    Hoping for a nice day with a bit of clag in the right places.........
    That is awesome commitment... congratulations!

Well it was a bit claggy in places which made the route finding a bit more fun.

Many thanks to the organisers and all the marshalls for putting on an excellent race. A query for others though:

I was recording the route on Viewranger on my phone (locked away in my bumbag before anyone asks! I was using my map printout and trusty thumb compass to navigate). I took pretty much the optimum line but have recorded ~1500m of climb which is a fair bit more than the advertised 1220m. A quick check of the map shows that 1500m is more likely than 1200m so I was wondering if anyone else had recorded their climb stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
    Well it was a bit claggy in places which made the route finding a bit more fun.

Many thanks to the organisers and all the marshalls for putting on an excellent race. A query for others though:

I was recording the route on Viewranger on my phone (locked away in my bumbag before anyone asks! I was using my map printout and trusty thumb compass to navigate). I took pretty much the optimum line but have recorded ~1500m of climb which is a fair bit more than the advertised 1220m. A quick check of the map shows that 1500m is more likely than 1200m so I was wondering if anyone else had recorded their climb stats?
    I noticed that. I clocked 11.5miles and ~4,800ft which is about a mile shorter and a fair bit more climb than the advertised 12.4miles/4003ft. Fell running is never an exact science I guess?!

Master
    When I did it in 2011 I measured it as 11.2 miles and 1800m ascent!

Jack looks to have run the quickest time for years in winning it this time, Ricky wasn't too far behind either. I checked results back to 2010, and Jack is just ahead of RFR's quick time from a few years ago. Ricky was obviously only a few seconds behind and then he also has a couple of quick times from recent years. Top effort by Jack, I assume as the clag came down for part of it that the time was down to him & Ricky hammering each other round. Long way to go to the record mind, but good to see fast time and a proper race for the win.

Just done this today for the first time and its a tough one. Weather was pretty much perfect, clear skies and not too warm.

Started off quick along the first track before the climb up Wetherlam that seemed to go on forever. Tuesday nights recce of Blisco to Blea Tarn was worth it as I made up 4/5 places due to people going too far down before cutting over to the wall. Last climb up Lingmoor was again tough and was starting to wobble a bit on the steep stuff, managed to shove down a couple of gels and seemed to get going again.

Looking at the results the top of the leaderboard was dominated by Ambleside.

Quote Originally Posted by Croberts View Post
    Just done this today for the first time and its a tough one. Weather was pretty much perfect, clear skies and not too warm.

Started off quick along the first track before the climb up Wetherlam that seemed to go on forever. Tuesday nights recce of Blisco to Blea Tarn was worth it as I made up 4/5 places due to people going too far down before cutting over to the wall. Last climb up Lingmoor was again tough and was starting to wobble a bit on the steep stuff, managed to shove down a couple of gels and seemed to get going again.

Looking at the results the top of the leaderboard was dominated by Ambleside.
    Keswick had four of their top runners at the Black Mountains today.