Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Shires

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Blimey Mark that's some going. You did well to get there a couple of years ago, loads of us didn't make it due to a smash on the M6.
    I think the purple shorts have mystical powers....see you Saturday.
    One year there was a fuel shortage and rationing was the order of the day (no it wasn't during the war!!). I was driving a 4.0 litre petrol Range Rover at the time doing 14 mpg. Luckily I managed to share a lift in a 'normal' car so I could get there. Not many turned up for the race that year. But as Selwyn always says ''if you can get there then the race is on''.
    See the light in the night

It is looking very likely that car parking will be in the field by the pub this year.

There is also the Langdale Half/Marathon on at the same time. Make sure you go to the correct car park.

Selwyn has decided to use SportIdent and dibbers this year. If you have your own dibber, bring it along.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I know what you mean. This was my first Lakes race 2 years ago after about a year of running in the Peak. That climb up Wetherlam came as a bit of shock, I can tell you.

Hope to be back this year, although it clashes with Lantern Pike again (one of my local races), which is a shame.
    This is my first time running this race, though I've done other lakeland races.

Could a kind soul tell me specifically why the climb up wheterlam is so tough? Thanks folks! :-)

Master
    Long, steep, slippery, no actual path, lots of work still to be done once it is over ....

Once you get onto the climb it's unrelenting, but it's a real cracker. Not as 'enjoyable' as Lingmoor at the end which really is a brilliant test of how well you're going. 2 popular options for Wetherlam, a slightly longer rising traverse straight after the fell gate (bracken dependant), or along the track a bit further and then straight up. Both options meet in a bit of a 'col' just below the last scramble up to the summit. There'll be plenty of people doing both no doubt, and probably a fair few in between.

If it's your first time doing the race, save a little bit for Lingmoor and the glorious feast of fast grassy running from the summit - and remember to enjoy every minute of one of the finest races available. You're in for a real treat )

Thanks Chevingbytorchlight!
    This will be my first of the classics and nervous, but almost looking forwards to it now!

You'll love it. Don't get carried away on the fast running available early doors and you'll be fine. For my money it offers the best terrain underfoot of any of the classics, as well as some nice easy scrambling in places. That's not to say there aren't some tricky bits, it offers a good all round test of fell running ability, but it's a great introduction to the classics as well as being a supreme race in it's own right.

If you can get round this, Langdale offers a good next step up with much rougher terrain, a mile or so extra distance, and more intricate route finding.

Today I've had a nice leisurely walk from Three Shires stone to the finish and it's extremely dry underfoot. It's been lovely in lakeland today, fingers crossed for something similar tomorrow..... I got lost in the clag last year.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Master
    Perfect weather - dry, no wind, not too sunny; very dry underfoot compared to last year and 2011 - even the descent to Blea Tarn was dry - well nearly. Thanks to Selwyn and all the marshals - a great day out.

Results are posted here.