Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cautley Horseshoe

Cautley Horseshoe

cautley horeshoe will replace tebay fell race this year on the 12th of june starting from the cross keys inn at cautley at 7pm ,tebay is a sad loss so thanks to gary and his team for all there hard work over the years, cautley race route will start at the footbridge head along main path towards waterfall then cut of and head up yarlside just to the right of the craggs , on reaching first checkpoint at summit you take a direct route to cautley spout , i will flag the line off yarlside as this will be tricky in mist ,on reaching top of waterfall carry on following path till u reach second check point which is a large sheepfold , then take a direct line up dummocks hit the 3rd checkpoint at summit then head directly down towards valley bottom crossing bridge and back along track to the finnish ,race length 5.2 miles , 2600 ft of climbing this is a little tough race so please no novices , i will provide maps and will insist on full kit email [email protected] or ring 07583077128 for any imformation could all competitors please park in the farmers field which will be signposted , not in the keys car park cheers britt ,prize giving will be in the keys who are kindly putting on a runners supper for anyone interested ,estemated winning time 50 mins so should be all over by 8 45 , we have a very exstensive prize list so the more the better , britty//// many thanx to all the helpers this was a toughie to hold ,frazer and his team did a great job and my summit marshals were spot on <hazel,mark and richard >feedback was very good so this will be an anual event finally thanx for you the runners for turning out on such a bad night , cheers paul britt
    Last edited by britty; 13-06-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Re: cautley horeshoe

Quote Originally Posted by britty View Post
    with the demise of the tebay race am thinking of putting race on at cautley which will be a cracker on the 12th of june , will be confirmed this week if it goes ahead
    I'll be there Britty! Hope to race but let me know if you need a marshall.
    John H - Howgill Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by britty View Post
    cautley horeshoe will replace tebay fell race this year on the 12th of june starting from the cross keys inn at cautley at 7pm ,tebay is a sad loss so thanks to gary and his team for all there hard work over the years, cautley race route will start at the footbridge head along main path towards waterfall then cut of and head up yarlside just to the right of the craggs , on reaching first checkpoint at summit you take a direct route to cautley spout , i will flag the line off yarlside as this will be tricky in mist ,on reaching top of waterfall carry on following path till u reach second check point which is a large sheepfold , then take a direct line up dummocks hit the 3rd checkpoint at summit then head directly down towards valley bottom crossing bridge and back along track to the finnish ,race length 5.2 miles , 2600 ft of climbing this is a little tough race so please no novices , i will provide maps and will insist on full kit email [email protected] or ring 07583077128 for any imformation
    Bring.
    It.
    On.

Details and map of the route now here: http://howgillharriers.co.uk/cautley-horsehoe/

cautley race update

update on race , have flagged start up yarlside till it meets path bout 400 meters from summit , this is a tough climb and not to be taken lightly , on reaching second checkpoint have flagged to dummocks summit you must follow any flagged sections , from checkpoint direct line to the bottom gate , you must come back over bridge which is flagged then sprint down lane t finish full kit must be carried whatever the weather , enjoy the race and please give feedback cheers britt

Quote Originally Posted by Howgill Tarrier View Post
    Details and map of the route now here: http://howgillharriers.co.uk/cautley-horsehoe/
    Problems with Howgills Harriers site should be resolved by lunchtime today, but have added the map below:

Attachment 7044

Cheers Britty and Team (esp the marshalls out in the mists) for a great evening out! Great atmosphere, good banter, and a killer of a first slope... I will return next year to complete the course, as tonight was my first retirement from a race... bugger.

Earlier in the week I rang clubmate Paul Jackson and asked him if he fancied doing Cautley. But it's the day before Two lads, he replied, yeah I know but how hard can it be? It's only 5 miles I said...... Only 5 miles of some of the steepest climbs and decent you're gonna get, what a savage race. The first climb up Yarlside is proper on all fours type of climbing, grabbing hold of the hillside to aid ascent. Or in my case the odd sheep turd and horrible black slugs. Then it's your typical howgill running on a downhill traverse via Cautley Spout down to the marshal at the sheepfold. Up we go again, steeply, to Great Dummacks. Then it's steep descending back to Cautley beck and the finish. A free bottle of bitter awaits every runner and the cafe and hospitality at the Cross Keys Inn is top class. Fantastic race, well worth the journey up from Chorley, thanks to all involved you have created a cracker.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howgill Tarrier View Post
    Someone seems to have nicked your website, which is wierd as I looked at it yesterday