Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howtown Fell Race

Howtown Fell Race

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/e...30216730334898

Dear all, a couple of us are trialling a new fell race next Saturday 13th August from Howtown Outward Bound Centre to help raise funds for a recycling centre. We would like to invite you and any of your friends who might be interested in a low key fell race. The cost will be £3 and the race is approx 14miles and 4100 feet of climb. The checkpoints are as follow: Start 444 198 In field next to centre then up path onto fell side. Checkpoint 1: Loadpot Hill 456 181, 2: High Raise 448 134, 3: Place Fell 405 169, 4: Hallin Fell 432 198, Finish: Top of Outward Bound Drive 444 197. We welcome you to invite friends however please let us know if you intend to attend to give us an idea of numbers. We also ask you to car share where possible as parking space is limited. It's a really nice route over some fantastic sections of fell. Give it a go.

Re: Howtown Fell Race

Can't make this myself but after being over that way in the Lakeland 50 i must say it's a beautiful area, never been to that part of the lakes before, hope you get a good turnout:-)
    Hills and Guinness!

It is a cracking area with some fantastic running to be had Steve. The first time I took the route from high raise along past angle tarn I clearly remember the buzz. Classic Lakeland and hardly anyone about. Howtown is busy with the steamers bringing loads of folk but anyone who makes an effort to move up toward high street finds the numbers disappear very quickly. An easy evening run is go through the road at the howtown hotel, up steel end, across the top and pikeawassa, then drop back down fusedale when you get to gown hill. You could also get a ferry to howtown and run round the lake back to glenridding. Hallin hag wood is splendid at the moment. Following the path to sandwick and on to silver bay et al is a lovely run.

Edit. should point out I think these are good routes to do at anytime, should anyone find themselves in the area. Im not suggesting anyone does the race then runs back to glenridding!!

Does anyone know what time this race starts? has there been much interest? Cheers

11am start.

Not sure how much interest.......probably depend on the weather!
    Body held together by Eden Bodyworks: http://www.edenbodyworks.co.uk/

Twitter: @Oliblom

nice to see a new race being formed

Here's the info from my Garmin when I tried the course in July. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96622127
    Body held together by Eden Bodyworks: http://www.edenbodyworks.co.uk/

Twitter: @Oliblom

The race was an intimate affair with nine runners. All agreed that the course had some great running on it. This was a try out and next year I'll get it put on the calender. Thanks to those who turned out and gave it a good go. The times were:

1. Carl Bell - Howgill Harriers - 2.16.20
    2. Chris Robinson - Keswick [?] - 2.33.57
    3. Oliver Blomfield - Lochabier - 2.35.35
    4. Andy Thompson - Eden Runners - 2.36.00
    5. Luke Armitage - Eden Runners - 2.57.58
    6. Jon Tombs - Eden Runners - 3.09.51
    7. James Riley - Todmorden Harriers - 2.35.35
    8. Pete Hamilton - Cumbria Tri Club - 4.49.35
    9. George Chambers - u/a - 5.02.16

At least small and intimate guranteed my first top 10 finish in a fell race!:thumbup:
    A brilliant route - a steep start, a long runnable section on turf tracks to High Raise, nice fast route with stunning views past Angle Tarn and all the Coast to Coast walkers, a sharp ascent of Place Fell before a fast descent, and then a classic sting in the tail - the small but steep Hallin Fell. This has the makings of a great race in an area of the Lakes which doesn't see much racing.

Thanks Kevin and Kim for organising and look forward to it being in the calendar next year.

Cheers

Jon

ps James Riley was 3:15:?? in 7th.