Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Cwm Pennant Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    I was finding it pretty uncomfortable walking yesterday.

Today things have regressed - I can't actually move at all.
    glad it's not just me then!

the splits make interesting viewing - for example one person finished 16 minutes before me but took 15 minutes longer on the road section!!

http://www.fabian4.co.uk/racetek/res...nantSplits.pdf

great race, thanks
    Last edited by barnyc; 13-06-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    glad it's not just me then!

the splits make interesting viewing - for example one person finished 16 minutes before me but took 15 minutes longer on the road section!!

http://www.fabian4.co.uk/racetek/res...nantSplits.pdf

great race, thanks
    I keep remembering the Marshall coming off the last top cheerfully telling us 'It's all downhill from here', I thought we were in for a nice skip home and then we immediately hit that heather field of hell! Over half an hour of agony staggering through that. Never been so pleased to see tarmac.

Glad you all enjoyed! Have to admit I've never tried the LHS of the Hebog wall, will give it a go sometime. RichardB - after a number of reccies I managed to get the Cwm of Doom descent down to around 8mins30secs, I'm certain there's a sub 8minute line down it!

Thanks for all comments!

What's that coming over the hill? Is it a monster? Is it a monster?

Who remembers Welsh band The Automatic belting out the above chorus? Can't believe that song is 10yrs old.

Welsh fell running stalwart Matthew Roberts has created a 'monster' in the form of Cwm Pennant Horseshoe. Now in its 4th year it finally gets the numbers it deserves, helped with it being a long counter in the British Fell Championships.
    Champs race or not, Cwm Pennant should become a calendar highlight. It has everything you'd want from a classic fell race and this is heightened by the hospitality offered by the Hostel.

A camping field was also provided to accommodate the large number of runners synonymous with a Champs race. The field was only a minutes walk from the start-line.

I have previously wrote about the race after doing it on a glorious day in 2014. This year the conditions were more testing. It had rained during the night to determine slippery conditions but we're treated to no rain during the race. It was however extremely humid without a breath of wind and clouds shrouded the summits throughout the race. If you'd took the time to recce the course, deservedly your time was well spent.

Race winner Carl Bell had recced and ran an absolute cracking race. Carl made his intentions clear from the off and led all the way around. Great also to see the form that clear ladies winner Lou Roberts is in.....both Carl and Lou smashed the previous course records, full respect.

The dibber system was an interesting one containing a wrist strap which we scanned into what resembled iPhones held by the check point marshals....very hi-tech.

The post race entertainment was fuelled by beer from Hafod brewery and dampened by England's performance in the football....the Welsh lads and lasses were by far the happier....good on em!

Cheers Math for a fantastic weekend and many thanks to all the helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

For more examples of Welsh hospitality Darren I would recommend the Preseli Beast early May next year in Pembrookshire. And of course my Arenig Fawr race on July 31st.

Hi Yiannis
    Hopefully I'll see you in July.

Cakes galore at Arenig!