Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Cwm Pennant Horseshoe

Just a quick heads up.

The race this year is definitely going ahead, thanks to some help from a few peeps.

I'm not expecting too big an entry this year, though it could be recommended checking it out, as 2016, hopefully, could be a very big field.

Anyway all info here: https://fellrace.org.uk/races/pedolcwmpennant

I noticed on FRA listings that info is a tad incorrect, so here's the correct updated info:

- Starts at 11am
    - It has 1800metres / 6000ft of climb
    - Entry on day is OK, I'm attaching an entry form, it's £6 pre and £7 on the day
    - Teams can count
    - All the usual skills are required
    - Records:
    F : 3:03:47
    Andrea Rowlands, Eryri Harriers ,2014
    M : 2:40:41
    Simon Harding, Macclesfield AC ,2014
    - Strictly no dogs!
    - Share cars if possible

going for a bimble round the route tomorrow to see if I can save a few seconds. has any one got a strava track I can compart...race map is vague particularly at start and off last hill...I don't want to upset any landowners...
    Ta

going for a bimble round the route tomorrow to see if I can save a few seconds. has any one got a strava track I can compart...race map is vague particularly at start and off last hill...I don't want to upset any landowners...
    Ta

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Ta
    Hi Ian, The early part to M. Hebog will be no problem, some of it might even be marked.
    Descend from M. Hebog on the left of the wall all the way down, it is quicker. M. Yr Ogof and M. Lefn have false rocky tops. At the foot of Y Gyrn, by the forest go left (flagged usually).
    The scramby ascent after the obelisk is best tackled directly if you don't mind an easy scramble. After that, if visibility is bad, follow a bearing on the plateau to the wall corner. After the CP at Carnedd Goch follow a SE bearing. It is rough. You might drop close to stream on right but not much better! Down to Cwm Chiprwth, stay on left of stream, past sheepfolds right on path (usually flagged), good track to road. Tough race!
    CWM P.jpg

Big shout out to the organisers of this magnificent, magnificent race. From the ladies making the tea and cakes before the start and the soup and curries at the end, to the excellent marshalls and the checkpoint staff, to the mountain rescue teams and to the race oragnisers for a friendly, well organised event on one of the best, most varied and compelling courses in the country: the Jura of Wales. And a race buff too - all for a tenner! A flippin' tenner! I love fell running,me.

61 St Helens.jpg

Bit challenging up there Mark - I managed to get a photo of your club mate!

Math2.jpg
    And here's one of our happy race organiser. Not the only runner without a top on - however I had three layers on and was still shivering.

Some more here if I've done this right:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/106378698@N03/W19LMM
    Last edited by Welsh Harrier; 12-06-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Hi Ian, The early part to M. Hebog will be no problem, some of it might even be marked.
    Descend from M. Hebog on the left of the wall all the way down, it is quicker. M. Yr Ogof and M. Lefn have false rocky tops. At the foot of Y Gyrn, by the forest go left (flagged usually).
    The scramby ascent after the obelisk is best tackled directly if you don't mind an easy scramble. After that, if visibility is bad, follow a bearing on the plateau to the wall corner. After the CP at Carnedd Goch follow a SE bearing. It is rough. You might drop close to stream on right but not much better! Down to Cwm Chiprwth, stay on left of stream, past sheepfolds right on path (usually flagged), good track to road. Tough race!
    CWM P.jpg
    only just seen this Yiannis...

I took a completely different line off Hebog and made up 15-20 places...

as for last descent well who knows, I went down the path in the stream bed, pretty fast once you got down there...I've not checked the splits yet but legs were gone by then..

Thanks Math I think it was a great race...although not so sure me legs agreed at the finish...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

Thanks Math I think it was a great race...although not so sure me legs agreed at the finish...
    I was finding it pretty uncomfortable walking yesterday.

Today things have regressed - I can't actually move at all.